Gasser’s triple double helps UW dominate Northwestern

MBB_MM
Josh Gasser is the 1st Big Ten freshman to record a triple-double since Magic Johnson in 1977.[/media-credit]

EVANSTON, Ill. (AP) – Jon Leuer scored 19 points to lead a balanced attack and No. 18 Wisconsin rolled to a 78-46 Big Ten victory over Northwestern on Sunday.

Keaton Nankivil had 16 points and Jordan Taylor added 14 as the Badgers (15-4, 5-2 Big Ten) won their third straight game to remain third in the conference standings.

Wisconsin freshman Josh Gasser had a triple-double with 10 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists.

John Shurna and Luka Mirkovic scored 13 points apiece for the Wildcats (13-6, 3-5).

The Badgers broke the game open midway through the opening quarter and put it out of reach early in the second half.

The victory was the Badgers’ most lopsided in the Big Ten this season and game them four wins in five games. Northwestern lost a two-game winning streak.

Wisconsin broke a 14-14 tie when Josh Gasser’s baseline 3-pointer at the 13-minute mark and the Badgerswere off on a 15-4 run over the next 5:10 to open a 29-18 lead.

Forward Mike Bruesewitz hit seven points during the surge with one inside feed and two jumpers, including a 3-pointer. Taylor added back-to-back buckets, including his first 3 of the game.

The Badgers opened their biggest lead at 45-26 just before the half when Gasser picked up the ball in a scramble under his basket and put it in.

Wisconsin shot 62 percent (18 of 29), including 7 of 13 from beyond the arc. The Badgers outscored Northwestern 7-0 off turnovers and outrebounded the Wildcats 15-7.

Leuer had just two points in the first half, but scored 15 of Wisconsin’s first 20 in the second half as the lead grew to 65-30 before by the 12:58 mark.

The 32-point loss was Northwestern’s largest of the season.

The Badgers shot 31 of 56 from the field (55.4 percent) and hit 12 of 26 3-point tries. The Wildcats were 17 of 41 (41.5 percent).

Wisconsin dominated statistically across the board, including advantages in rebounds (32-18), 3s (12-2), assists (22-9) and outscored Northwestern 11-0 on turnovers.

The Badgers resume Big Ten play on Saturday at Penn State. The Wildcats travel to Minnesota on Wednesday.