Geoffrion looks back on college days, works toward NHL future

Geoffrion_stephaniemoebius
Geoffrion now skates with the AHL’s Milwaukee Admirals as he hopes to move his way up to the NHL.[/media-credit]

In his senior year as a Badger during the 2009-2010 season, Blake Geoffrion etched his name in the record books.

One of the highlights of his college hockey career was being the first UW hockey player to win the Hobey Baker award, given to the most talented college hockey player.

Months later, with his collegiate career behind him, Geoffrion still can’t believe he is a Hobey Baker award winner.

“Indescribable. I’d say words cant describe it, and I didn’t really know what that meant until my name was called,” Geoffrion said. “I kind of blacked out a little bit when I was speaking up there, you know, I couldn’t believe it. It was a great feeling to win that award. Hockey is a team sport, and I wouldn’t be there without my teammates and what they have done for me all year long. And my senior class especially – playing together for four years, for them to help me get there and to win that award, it was pretty special.”

Geoffrion was also nominated for an ESPY, was named USA Hockey’s College Player of the Year, was a First-Team West All-American, and named the most valuable player of the West Regional when he helped the Badgers beat St.Cloud State and Vermont, notching two goals and three assists in both games. He was also a First-Team WCHA selection.

His favorite memory of college hockey is the entire experience as a whole, a combination of everything involved with being a Badger.

“Starting off freshman year down in the dumps, working hard and getting better every year,” Geoffrion said. “Taking it to the national championship game with my senior class through our four years, the relationships and friendships I still have because of that – just that whole thing. There isn’t one that just sticks out in my mind, just a combination of it all.”

The Camp Randall Classic was a definite highlight of his career as the Badgers took on Michigan in the first on-campus outdoor game in UW history. Geoffrion’s best friend, Chris Summers, who was captain of Michigan’s team, added a rivalry twist to the game. The atmosphere was filled with energy, courtesy of the 55,000 fans in attendance, and also brought Geoffrion back to his days of being a kid, dreaming of becoming a hockey player.

“Right before the game started they had the gate closed so you couldn’t see outside, and when they opened it there were little kids lined up, all the way to the ice. It was pretty cool because I knew at one point in my life I was a little kid that wanted to be that player that walked out on the ice,” he said. “It was incredible, and the whole Jump Around, the whole experience – it was awesome.”

Geoffrion helped lead the Badgers to the championship hockey game in Detroit last season against Boston College. However, the Badgers weren’t able to pull off their seventh national title.

After his Badger hockey days had come to an end in Michigan, the Nashville Predators’ affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League, were in a battle for the Calder Cup in the playoffs against the Chicago Wolves. Geoffrion was immediately signed to an Amateur Try-Out Contract less than a week after the NCAA championship game, and he took part in the AHL playoffs.

“I wanted to get a feel of what it was like before I came back for my rookie year. I wanted to meet the coaching staff and get to know some of the guys here, the whole atmosphere and how it works a little bit,” Geoffrion said of his first professional action. “I only got to play three games but you know, it was great, I really liked it a lot. It really helped me for this year so it was good.”

In just three games in the AHL playoffs, Geoffrion showed off his skill. He rifled the puck past goaltender Peter Mannino of the Chicago Wolves with a wrist shot at the top shelf for his first professional goal. Mannino was soon replaced by Drew MacIntyre to tend the net, but that didn’t stop Geoffrion, who scored against him as well in a Milwaukee victory.

Despite his success at the collegiate level, there has been an adjustment period for Geoffrion as he begins his professional career. However, it hasn’t been too difficult a move so far.

“It’s a little different in the sense that in college you play two games a week so guys are pretty much ready to go,” he said. “Pros, it’s a little different – here you play a lot more games. So far it’s been pretty similar to college hockey. Practices are a little bit shorter, and games are obviously a little more competitive. You want to win every single one you can.

“The transition to the game here at the pro level is a lot, lot quicker than in college.”

Looking forward to this season and the future of his hockey career, Geoffrion has goals that he hopes to accomplish, and he’s going to do everything he can to achieve them.

“I want to keep getting better every year, like I did in college, and continue to excel in all areas of my game,” he said. “And hopefully someday make it to the NHL.”