PCP: Best back in NFL?

Max Henson:

2,500 yards.

That’s what Titans’ superstar running back Chris Johnson has promised fans this season after piling up 2,006 yards a year ago. Yeah, he’s not kidding.

Now, most will laugh at Johnson’s outrageous declaration, but doubters are nothing new for the fastest man in the league, a guy who was told by college coaches he wasn’t suited for the running back position.

As a Titans fan, I was speechless when Tennessee drafted Johnson out of East Carolina in the first round two years ago.

I first wondered who the hell Johnson was and why I couldn’t understand a word he was saying, then couldn’t believe that no one could touch him in his college highlight videos (they are definitely worth a watch), then couldn’t believe when no one could touch him in the NFL either.

Now he’s cemented himself as the best running back in the league. Better than Adrian Peterson, better than Maurice Jones-Drew, better than anyone in the game, period.

Johnson quite simply does it all. He’s a terrific receiver out of the backfield and can line up out wide to run some routes (something Adrian Peterson can’t do), has moves on top of moves on top of moves and is a touchdown threat every time he touches the ball. He’ll even step up and provide a key block on a blitz pick up to help the passing game. And yeah, he runs an electric 4.24 in the 40 (the fastest electronic time ever recorded).

But the most underrated and under-appreciated part of Johnson’s game is his work between the tackles. Due to his style and small stature, people assume he can’t handle the tough runs up the middle, but that’s not the case. Johnson will grab his four or five yards up the gut and take a few hits, then break one outside and move the ball 40 yards downfield in an instant. In a league with all-world athletes at every position, Johnson just looks to be on a different level with his jaw dropping speed and agility.

Another plus? Johnson can hold on to the football. He’s only fumbled four times in his career. That’s like one half of play for Adrian Peterson.

Johnson is the complete package at the running back position and he’s got plenty of mileage left in those superhuman legs. Who knows if he’ll come close to 2,500 yards he’s set as goal, but he’s the one and only running back in today’s league who could ever dream of reaching such a total.

Adam Holt:

Sorry Max, Chris Johnson might be fast, but speed isn’t everything. If I need a back to take over a game, I’m going with All Day, all day, every day.

But wait, wait, you say, “Peterson drops the ball more than Pacino drops the F-bomb in Scarface.” Yeah, he does. But it’s a fixable problem — Tiki Barber showed a proficiency for putting the ball on the ground his first few seasons, but fixed it.

If you want, you can compare stats. Johnson has 3,234 rushing yards through his first two seasons to 3,101 for Peterson. Johnson also played one more game in that span than Peterson, and while that only translates to eight more carries for the Titan, both players are more than capable of getting 133 yards in those eight attempts.

CJ got all the attention last season for his record-breaking 2,509 yards from scrimmage, which is nothing to scoff at. But remember who has the all-time single-game record for rushing (296 yards) — as a rookie, nonetheless? That’s 68 yards more than Johnson’s single-game best.

As far as being a home run threat, both players have 14 career touchdowns of 30 yards or longer.

So far, it’s pretty even between the two. So let’s take a look at skill sets.

It’s easy to say Johnson’s top three weapons are his speed, his speed and his speed. But I admit he’s more than capable of pulling off Madden-esque jukes and spins, and he also catches the ball very well.

Peterson isn’t CJ-caliber fast, but there’s no denying his wheels. Peterson cuts and turns the corner just as well, but also just abuses would-be tacklers. Just about every corner in the league has been bowled over or stiff-armed by A.D.

Take a look at any highlight reel run from either player and you’ll see both backs get good blocking. The difference is, Johnson runs around people; Peterson runs around, through and over them. Injury risk aside, I’d say it’s advantage, Adrian.

Also in Peterson’s favor is the fact he can actually speak. Have you ever heard Chris Johnson talk? It’s like someone took one of those little kid toys that make animal noises and then smashed it on the ground a few times, then transplanted it into CJ’s throat.

Both Peterson and Johnson are heads and shoulders above the rest of the running backs in the NFL. But just like in real life, I’ll give A.D. those extra three inches over CJ. Maybe I’m just a violence junkie, but given the opportunity to see a back run around three people, or through three people, I’ll take the latter.