Schulte no longer head coach

softball
Catcher Dana Rasmussen looks on during a 2010 game at Goodman Diamond. While the Badgers won five more games in 2010 than they had in each of the two previous seasons, it was not enough to save their head coach.[/media-credit]

After three consecutive losing seasons, Chandelle Schulte’s run as head softball coach at the University of Wisconsin is over.

Schulte, who went 99-153 overall and 23-70 in Big Ten play over her five years at the helm, did not have her contract renewed Thursday, as the UW Athletic Board voted not to do so.

Schulte’s only winning season over five years at Wisconsin came in 2007, as the Badgers went 27-20 in her second year as head coach. They were just 6-12 in conference play, however.

The 2010 version of the Badgers improved from the previous two, going 20-31 after back-to-back 15-40 seasons, but it was not enough to earn Schulte an additional year as head coach.

“I appreciate Chandelle’s efforts during her years with us and I wish her well,” UW athletic director Barry Alvarez said in a statement. “We will immediately begin the process of searching for a new head softball coach.”

Schulte was just the second head coach in the history of the program after replacing Karen Gallagher, who resigned in 2005.

In her final season before taking the position at Wisconsin, Schulte earned her 300th career victory as a head coach. She did so at College of Charleston, where she was head coach for four years. During her tenure, the Cougars were 163-82, with one NCAA regional appearance, a conference tournament championship and two regular season Southern Conference titles.

Schulte’s most successful season as a head coach came in 2005, when she led College of Charleston to a school and Southern Conference record 53 wins. The Cougars also had seven players named to all-conference teams while Schulte was named SoCon Coach of the Year.