Eaves hoping for 2 titles

Eaves_BB
Head coach Mike Eaves (center) hopes the Wisconsin men\’s hockey team will be fresh after resting both Sunday and Thursday heading into the WCHA Final Five.[/media-credit]

After a dismal performance against Minnesota in which the Badgers lost 6-1, many fans questioned whether the Badgers could make a deep playoff run.

However, after a dominating weekend sweep of the Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves, the third-ranked Badgers look to be back on track and poised to make a deep run in both the WCHA Final Five and NCAA Tournament.

The sweep of UAA gave the Badgers an extra day of rest, avoiding a third game Sunday. North Dakota, Minnesota-Duluth and St. Cloud State all had to play a decisive third game Sunday. Head coach Mike Eaves believes the extra rest will be crucial to the team’s success in the Final Five.

“You would much rather have your team rested,” Eaves said. “You definitely want [rest] on your side.”

After the sweep of the Seawolves, the Badgers advance to the Final Five semifinals to face the St. Cloud State Huskies, avoiding an extra game Thursday and earning an extra day of rest.

The three other teams in the WCHA playoffs — Denver, North Dakota and Minnesota Duluth — are all ranked nationally, and the extra rest will help the Badgers be at their best against the toughest competition.

Eaves believes the WCHA Final Five can be won by any of these teams and, as in years past, that it ultimately comes down to which team is hot.

He also hopes the Badgers end up as the Final Five Champions as well as NCAA Champions, but knows that it is a difficult road to the title.

“Trying to win a championship is like getting to the top of Mount Everest,” Eaves said. “When you start getting to the top, each step is an arduous task. In each step there is not a lot of room for error, and we need to be at our very best in order to continue our climb.”

As the Badgers near the peak of their Everest, their room for error decreases.

Throughout the season, fans have voiced their concerned with the play of UW’s goaltenders, which many believe to be the team’s largest weakness.

Eaves continues to back his netminders, and is looking for junior Scott Gudmandson to continue his high level of play between the pipes for the remainder of the postseason.

Gudmandson’s goaltending has been improving down the stretch. He currently ranks eighth in the WCHA in save percentage and third in goals against average.

Furthermore, Gudmandson leads the WCHA in winning percentage at 78 percent, higher than Marc Cheverie of Denver, who is favored by many to win the Hobey Baker Award.

“Where he [Gudmandson] is right now is where we need him,” Eaves said.

Perhaps the biggest reason for Gudmandson’s success this season is his mental maturation. At the beginning of the season, many questioned Gudmandson’s mental toughness, believing it would lead to poor performances on the ice.

“He seemed to have a hard time letting goals go,” Eaves said. “I think it was just a maturation process.

“This year it came together for him and it has been the biggest reason for the success he has had.”

Eaves said Gudmandson no longer has trouble letting goals go and letting those goals hinder his performance.

Despite Gudmandson’s recent success in the net, there is some concern about how he will perform in UW’s game Friday against the St. Cloud State Huskies.

The last time Gudmandson was in net against the Huskies the Badgers lost 5-1 in what might have been Gudmandson’s worst performance of the year. The junior netminder allowed five goals, recorded only 19 saves and had a dismal save percentage of 79.

Although Gudmandson’s previous performance against the Huskies does not bode well for UW, Eaves does not believe it will affect his performance.

“It’s a new game and a new day and I don’t think it will come into play,” Eaves said.

Regardless of what fans and critics think of Gudmandson’s play, Eaves and the Badgers remain optimistic.

“He feels good about himself and the team feels good about him.

“That’s where you want to be with your goaltender at this time of the year.”