Seniors lead UW, graduates experience highs, lows at next level

Watching senior guard Jason Bohannon post a career-high 30 points against Indiana Saturday, Badger fans were given a reprieve from the seemingly endless wait for the return of co-leading scorer Jon Leuer.

The 6-foot-10 forward has been out since Jan. 9 with a broken wrist suffered in a win over Purdue and has been listed as being out indefinitely.

As much as the Badger faithful would love to see Leuer back on the court as soon as possible, head coach Bo Ryan is adamant that Leuer, just like the rest of his players, will have to earn his minutes by putting in the extra effort in practice.

“I have to see [Leuer] on the floor,” Ryan said. “It’ll be tryouts again. When he comes back to practice he’s going to have to try to get into the lineup.”

Although many coaches want to see their stars return quickly from injury — Michigan State star guard Kalin Lucas sprained his ankle against Wisconsin and missed just one game afterwards — Ryan still believes in proving it on the court.

“Still, you got to come back and show your proficiency at a certain level” Ryan said.

With his return to practice Monday, Leuer gave UW at least a glimpse of his level of readiness.

Senior Badgers shine

Not only did the Badgers’ defeat of the Hoosiers signal a high point in Bohannon’s career, but it also was a sign that he and fellow senior Trevon Hughes, who chipped in with 16 points and three steals, are ready to lead the Badgers into the Big Ten Tournament.

This turning point came as no shock to Ryan, as he has been preparing the two for these moments since they were freshmen.

“It doesn’t start in January or February,” Ryan said of Bohannon and Hughes’ progression. “It’s all developed over the course of time. It seems pretty natural to me.”

Ryan also attributes the two seniors’ substantial development to their realization of new opportunities and the ability to take advantage of them.

“Once you get to be a senior, doors open that you might have thought were shut before,” Ryan said.

Ryan added a little levity when he looked back at Bohannon’s development. Even with Bohannon’s 6-foot-2, 198-pound frame, Ryan claims that he “still looks twelve.”

Graduate update

It doesn’t feel like very long ago former Badgers Brian Butch and Alando Tucker were on the court playing in the Kohl Center for UW. Tucker actually returned Saturday to watch Wisconsin’s win over Indiana. Both have already faced ups and downs in their professional careers.

This weekend, Butch, who plays on the Bakersfield Jam in the NBA Developmental League, received the MVP trophy for the NBA D-League All-Star Game after contributing 18 points and 13 rebounds for the West.

Tucker was recently traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves from the Phoenix Suns.

Ryan’s advice for them to make it to the next level in their careers is to be patient and opportunistic.

“Just encourage the guys to keep working,” Ryan said. “You never know when your opportunity comes, and when it does, seize the moment.”

Ryan also believes Wisconsin graduates, such as Butch and Tucker, trying to make it in professional basketball are also prepared for the disappointment that could possibly come in their careers.

“They didn’t get into this basketball playing thing with their eyes shut,” Ryan said. “If they’re not playing, they’re not getting a call-up… They know what the world is all about.”