Wisconsin looks to build on win vs. Huskies

SB14_KF
Senior third baseman Theresa Boruta looks to help the Badgers win their second game in a row in East Lansing this weekend.[/media-credit]

The University of Wisconsin softball team will head to East Lansing, Mich., this weekend to face conference rival Michigan State in a two-game weekend series.

Wisconsin, which defeated Northern Illinois 2-0 Wednesday, has won two of its last four games overall. Although the Badgers only sit at 14-35 on the season, any type of momentum is useful, especially when facing any of the quality opponents the Big Ten has to offer.

“We always have things to work on, and today was just a good day to get everything out, and hopefully going into the weekend, we can be a little stronger,” pitcher Leah Vanevenhoven said. “We can’t take Michigan State lightly — they’re another Big Ten team. They’re good.”

Wisconsin is currently last in the Big Ten with a conference record of 2-12. If they should happen to sweep the Spartans this weekend, the Badgers would place themselves ahead of the Spartans and potentially Indiana, the 10th place team in the conference. The leapfrog scenario becomes all the more plausible given that Indiana has to play Michigan, which is ranked 9th in the country.

After the Badgers’ last victory, head coach Chandelle Schulte was not overly optimistic about it. “I don’t know about momentum, but it doesn’t take any momentum that we’ve had away,” Schulte said. “I think it puts us right where we need to be.”

As the Spartans host the Badgers, they are on somewhat of a hot streak of their own. They have won five of their last seven games, including all three of their Big Ten victories on the season. Their last game — a 3-2 win over Penn State — was followed by series sweep of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The Badgers will look to extend their winning streak to two as senior Leah Vanevenhoven takes the circle in one of her final games pitching for the Badgers. She has been the team’s most consistent player as of late, and were it not for her performance, the Badgers would still be mired in their recent losing streak.

Due to recent flu-like symptoms to the Badgers’ other starting pitcher Letty Olivarez, Vanevenhoven has shouldered the brunt of the work in the circle. Her ERA on the season is 3.27, and in her last start — a win over Northern Illinois — she allowed zero runs on three hits, while striking out seven batters.

In the team’s last conference victory versus Minnesota, Vanevenhoven compiled a stat line of one earned run on three hits, and eight more strikeouts. The victory was the second of two games pitched by the senior in the Minnesota series, in which she struck out a career-high 12 in the first game, a 4-0 Gopher victory.

“Leah’s been doing an amazing job on the mound,” third baseman Theresa Boruta said.

The Badgers can also count on Boruta to continue her quality play at the hot corner. Not only does she make every routine play at a position where the Badgers had struggled to find consistency, but she also got what proved to be the game-winning hit in Wednesday night’s game over the Northern Illinois Huskies.

After a double by right fielder Ashley Hanewich in the bottom of the 6th — the first hit the Badgers had on the night — Boruta drove her in, giving the Badgers the 1-0 lead. Boruta then stole second, advanced to third on a single and stole home on a delayed double steal.

For the Badgers to continue their success, they will need to limit the production of Gina Mondo, the Spartans’ .404-hitting second baseman.

Also important will be the play of Lauren Kramer in the circle for Michigan State. On the season, she has a 3.83 ERA, with a record of 9-11 with 109 strikeouts in 129-plus innings pitched. Kramer can also hurt Wisconsin at the plate, where she has a .350 batting average to go along with five home runs.

Last year when the Badgers faced Michigan State at Old College Field, they were outscored 12-2 in losing both games of the series. Echoing the sentiments of her teammates, Boruta is excited to head to East Lansing.

“We’re going to get hyped for Big Ten and bring it,” Boruta said.