Pitcher trying to end on high note

WSF_No20_JS
Despite a 9-19 team record, Vanevenhoven will try to get the Badgers back on track.[/media-credit]

For University of Wisconsin softball pitcher Leah Vanevenhoven, there is a lot she would like to forget about last season.

The senior from Kaukauna, Wis., only registered at-bats in 19 out of a possible 55 games last year as Wisconsin trudged through a 15-40 season. Not only did she struggle at the plate — only managing .100 batting average — but the lefty thrower posted a 4.47 ERA in 48 appearances last season.

This year she has brought an entirely new mentality to the diamond.

“I’ve been really simple with everything, not over-thinking, you know just doing things as I’ve always known how to,” Vanevenhoven said. “There’s a whole different me compared to other years, and it’s just fun.”

So far, Vanevenhoven’s numbers certainly justify the claim. Through 28 games, she has hit a steady .273, with an on-base percentage of .333. In the circle, she has lowered her ERA by more than a run from last year. She has also spent a considerable amount of time in the outfield where she has yet to record an error. Assistant coach Julie Wright has been more than impressed with the change displayed by her senior pitcher.

“There’s a role that she has taken on this year that was probably 10 times more than what she thought she was going to have to contribute, and you know she’s now one of our top hitters, and we needed it and she responded,” Wright said. “She’s played outfield and she’s pitched, and she’s responded to all of those things as a softball player. … On the field, we couldn’t have survived without her.”

Right now, the Badgers believe their 9-19 record isn’t indicative of how much potential the team has. Not only has Wisconsin lost eight games by one run each, but Vanevenhoven’s individual 2-5 record has been marred by 12 unearned runs in her nine starting games.

“It’s a lot of little things — we just need to put all of our aspects together and we will be so, so productive, and it’s coming pretty close,” Vanevenhoven said. “It makes us work harder. We’re not taking anything for granted — we know we have to work hard to win.”

So far, the Badgers have spent nearly two months playing on the road while eagerly awaiting their home opener this Wednesday against North Dakota.

“Madison fans, to be on your own diamond, stand in your own dugout, we really look forward to opening up at Goodman Diamond, but there’s something to be said for playing in front of your fans — you know it just doesn’t get any better,” Wright said.

Vanevenhoven has everything to play for in her final year donning the Wisconsin cardinal and white because this is the year when she can cement her legacy as a Badger. As of this year, she sits among the all-time leaders at Wisconsin in terms of pitching. Her numbers have positioned her No. 8 in all-time wins, seventh in strikeouts and No. 6 in all-time appearances.

“I want people to remember that I’m a hard-worker and whatever my team wants me to play that day, I’ll do it to the best of my ability,” Vanevenhoven said.

According to Wright, Vanevenhoven’s numbers have improved because of the realization that it’s her final year playing softball. Certainly hard work in the off-season was a contributing factor, but since this is the first year where she has received significant playing time, much weight has to be given to how she simply relaxed and embraced the opportunity.

“A lot of that comes out when a student athlete realizes that it’s her last go-round,” Wright said. “Leah wanted to leave a legacy, and leave on top.”

Vanevenhoven’s mentality has helped to navigate the team through a difficult non-conference schedule, numerous grueling tournaments on the West Coast and the eight gut-wrenching one-run losses. If the team is to turn its season around, it will most likely have to adopt the senior’s mantra and stop thinking about everything.

“Softball is so simple and I was just over-complicating everything,” Vanevenhoven said.