NU swimmers come to town

The University of Wisconsin men’s and women’s swim teams will face their second Big Ten opponents in a dual meet at the UW Natatorium tonight against the No. 20 Northwestern Wildcats.

The No. 23 women’s team (2-1) and the men’s team (1-2) visited Arizona two weekends ago to compete against the defending NCAA champions. Although both teams lost in Tucson (the men 173-126 and the women 179-120), the Badgers put up fierce competition and came away feeling confident about their performances.

“We’ve taken the loss at Arizona almost as a win because we swam really well against that team,” sophomore Maggie Meyer said. “They’re the top team in the nation, and for us to be able to get in the water and race and compete against them is really huge for all of us, on both the men’s and women’s side.”

Eric Hanson, the head coach of both teams, agreed.

“That was by far the best meet for us this year,” Hanson said. “So even though it was a loss, it was a loss to the defending champions. Our kids came out with a lot of confidence because they know they can swim with those guys, so it was nothing but a positive at Arizona.”

Both teams will look to convert that positive energy into the water this evening.

“Against Northwestern, I think we’re going in with the same mindset [as we did in Arizona],” Meyer said. “I plan on just taking every race one at a time, mentally preparing for my events, and just getting in and racing and hoping to have some fast swims. We have so much talent and depth on the women’s side and the men’s side, too, and for the women I know that every girl in an event is willing to step up and race and perform.”

The Wildcats will bring along many top swimmers, notably senior Eric Nilsson, who put up strong times against Purdue last weekend in the 200 meter freestyle, 200 butterfly and 500 freestyle events. Nilsson was also recently awarded the Big Ten swimmer of the week award.

“You just got to get in and just race him,” said UW freshman Brett Nagle, who will be competing against Nilsson tonight. “[Eric’s] a fast swimmer, so the only thing you can really do is just finish fast and try to touch the wall before he does.”

The men’s team will also be looking to senior swimmer Scott Rice to lead the Badgers to a victory. Rice will also be competing against Nilsson.

“Scotty’s our fastest swimmer,” Nagle said, “so any time he gets up and has a good race he just motivates the whole team.”

Wisconsin will also be relying on divers Emily Cheffins and Caleb Percevecz to accumulate some valuable points. Cheffins was recently named Big Ten women’s diver of the week and Percevecz was named Big Ten men’s diver of the week for the second time this season.

But according to their coach, a victory will have to be a total team effort.

“I think the entire team needs to take another step forward this weekend,” Hanson said, “and regardless if they are a top swimmer in the event or not, everybody needs to be sharp.”