Sherer picks up 1st win as starting quarterback

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]FB_No18_JS[/media-credit]

Although it was his second career start, this past Saturday was a day of firsts for quarterback Dustin Sherer. The junior threw his first touchdown, ran for his first score and perhaps most importantly, marked his first win as Wisconsin’s starter.

Sherer threw for 174 yards and two scores, and ran for another, as Wisconsin beat Illinois Saturday to snap a four-game losing streak.

“He’s in his second game as a starter,” head coach Bret Bielema said. “Every rep he has is a learning experience.”

In his first career start last weekend against Iowa, Sherer struggled, throwing a pair of interceptions and no touchdowns as Wisconsin was blown out.

“Coming out last week, I knew I was better than that,” Sherer said. “I knew that I could do better and I tried to play better … and it happened for us.”

Things didn’t start much better against the Illini.

Sherer lost a fumble on the game’s opening drive and completed just one five-yard pass in the first quarter.

With time winding down in the first half, however, Sherer was able to make a play with his feet.

Under pressure at the Illinois 15-yard line, the quarterback scrambled to his left, and, with some blocking from Garret Graham, dove into the end zone for the Badgers’ first touchdown of the day.

In the second-half, Sherer was able to put it all together.

After a holding penalty put the Badgers in a long third-down situation, Sherer found David Gilreath over the middle for a short competition, which Gilreath turned into a touchdown.

Though it was Gilreath’s moves after the catch that created the score, it was the well-thrown ball that set up the play.

“There was a lot of times when I was hitting guys in stride,” Sherer said, “letting them have a chance to make a play after the catch.”

The touchdown tied the game at 17, and gave the Badgers a much-needed spark.

“It’s important,” Gilreath said of the play. “It gave the offense and the defense a little boost.

“Dustin did a great job … and he hit me and I just ran.”

Gilreath’s 49-yard touchdown and a late 45-yard completion to Garret Graham were the Badgers’ two longest pass plays of the season.

“We haven’t had too many of those this year,” Sherer said.

As time ran down late in the fourth quarter, Sherer provided one more big play of his own. The quarterback faked a handoff and headed down the sideline for a 30-yard gain while staying in bounds to keep the clock running.

“It was nice to get out of the pocket and run a little bit,” Sherer said, “because then they have to defend that, too.”

Sherer finished the game with 40 rushing yards.

With Saturday’s performance, it now appears that Sherer has cemented his position as the team’s starting quarterback.

Gilreath busts out

With two touchdown receptions, it was a big day for wide receiver David Gilreath.

In addition to the 49-yard score, Gilreath also caught an 8-yard touchdown with under four minutes remaining in the game that helped seal the Badgers’ victory.

“David Gilreath, the two touchdowns he had, the desire to get in the end zone, was kind of the spark that turned everything,” Bielema said.

Against Penn State two weeks ago, Gilreath was held without a reception, but the receiver came back in a big way against Illinois.

“I just tried to have fun,” Gilreath said. “When it comes to you, just make a play.”

Gilreath may have finished the game with just three receptions, but it was enough to have a big impact on the game.

“I’m not really a possession receiver, so I hope I could break some out there,” Gilreath said.

The sophomore now has 19 receptions and three touchdowns this season.