UW Football Report Card

Overall: C-

Ranked No. 9 entering Saturday’s game, Wisconsin went into Ann Arbor as the favorites. They left the Big House as the victims of a 27-25 upset. The Badger defense made up for a lack of production by the offense in the first half, as UW entered halftime with a 19-0 lead that could have been much more. But Michigan’s spread offense got the best of the Wisconsin ‘D’ in the second half, as the Wolverines scored 27 unanswered points. Allan Evridge and Co. drove down the field in the final minute of the game and appeared to tie it after a David Gilreath touchdown catch and a converted two-point conversion. But the conversion was overturned when UW was penalized for an ineligible man downfield. The second attempt failed when Evridge’s pass sailed high of Isaac Anderson, ending Wisconsin’s comeback attempt.

Offense: D

Numerous dropped passes and failed opportunities to convert on third-down situations resulted in just 25 points for UW. In the first quarter, the Badgers had chances to put the ball in the end zone, but they instead settled for a pair of Philip Welch field goals. Evridge threw a fourth-quarter pass into traffic that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown, giving Michigan a 20-19 lead. P.J. Hill had just 70 yards on 20 carries for the Badgers.

Defense: C

They pitched a shutout in the first half, limiting the Michigan offense and forcing five turnovers. But Wisconsin’s defensive unit that took the field after halftime looked like a completely different group. The Badgers let Wolverines’ quarterback Steven Threet orchestrate a fourth-quarter comeback as he and the Wolverines scored 27 straight points. History repeated itself as the UW ‘D’ had trouble handling the spread.

Special teams: A-

Other than a 34-yard field goal try by freshman Philip Welch that missed wide left in the first quarter, Wisconsin’s special teams looked solid. Welch redeemed himself by converting on his next four attempts. Gilreath had a good day in the return game, as he broke off a 55-yarder in the first half. Punter Brad Nortman was able to pin the Wolverines deep in their own zone as he landed three punts inside the Michigan 20-yard line.

Game ball goes to: Philip Welch

The freshman placekicker Welch converted on four of his five field goals Saturday, including a 52-yarder at the end of the first half, and provided the only scoring for UW in the first quarter. Two of his other three makes came from outside of 40 yards away.

Next up for the Badgers: Ohio State

Ohio State was the preseason favorite to win the Big Ten but has already suffered its first loss of the season when it was embarrassed by USC, falling 35-3. The Buckeyes opened their conference season with a 34-21 win against Minnesota. Running back Chris “Beanie” Wells made his return against the Gophers and, along with quarterback Terrelle Pryor, could give the UW defense fits.