YouTube sensation revolutionizing sports journalism

We all know Doug Gottlieb has no love for the Badgers. Neither does Hubert or Seth Davis.

The fact is, most national pundits either have incorrect (“They can’t score”) or unflattering (“They’re unathletic”) opinions of Bo Ryan’s bunch.

But there is one big time analyst out there who isn’t just showing some love for the Cardinal and White.

That man is YouTube sensation Kige (rhymes with mirage… sort of) Ramsey, who is taking the world of sports journalism by storm, one syllable at a time.

“I think the Badgers can easily make the Final Four,” Ramsey, who is no-frills, no-insight and all opinion/fact, told me in a phone interview Thursday. “Bo Ryan. The Badgers are a good team.”

It is razor sharp analysis like this that has made Ramsey an Internet rock star, with over 4,000 subscribers to his YouTube channel and having already caught the eye of Deadspin. Ramsey narrowly missed being named to the Deadspin Hall-of-Fame (becoming the Michael Irvin of this era) and was runner-up in the website’s 2007 Sportshuman of the Year Award, falling to the incomparable Isaiah Thomas, which is sort of like losing to George ‘The Animal’ Steele in an arm wrestling contest: There’s no shame in it.

Ramsey, who is currently a student at Western Kentucky University (Go Western Kentucky Hilltoppers!), has built his status up through a unique, monosyllabic approach that is probably best described as being thoroughly minimalist.

Sitting in front of a ’70s-esque wood panel background with assorted sports paraphernalia in the background, such as a poster of Vince Young or the Western Kentucky Wildcats emblem, K-Bomb delivers the word of the day in such a fashion that it evokes memories of FDR’s Fireside Chats… or at least what I would think those chats were like if I had been around to partake in them.

“I have always wanted to be a sports broadcaster,” said the K-Man. “My dream would be to have a nationally syndicated talk show here in Bowling Green. And I will do it.”

There is little reason to doubt the Notorious R.A.M-Z, as he has shown through his videos he has a true calling to shed light on the world of sport.

For example, Ramsey recently ended all the wonder about the true identity of androgynous Western Kentucky Hilltoppers mascot Big Red — you’d know him from many a “This is SportsCenter” ad.

“In my opinion, Big Red is a mascot,” Ramsey illuminated. “I think he is one of the best mascots.”

He is unafraid to go out on a limb, naming Richard Petty the second greatest athlete of all time and correctly predicting the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers would reach the Sweet 16.

I won’t say that K-Diddy is the savior of sports journalism… but I will point out that he was born on Dec. 25. Just chew on that.

But K.R. isn’t just a sports expert. Not by a full bale of hay. He also is unafraid to chime in on matters of more social interest, such as escalating gas prices (“I fill up when I have about half a tank left. That is what saves you a lot of money when you fill up your gas tank.”), Nicole Richie’s eating disorder (“If you have anorexia (dramatic pause) go get tested and get help.”) and even the disintegration of the American Holiday (“I do not believe that companies should already have Christmas stuff out. It’s Sept. 30! Come on!”).

But perhaps what makes Kige-asaurus most enjoyable is his love for his fans.

“I do this really for the fans out there,” Ramsey said. “It is people that keeps me going.”

And just to show he is a man of a people, he has filmed several of his reports from Wal-Mart, and welcomes interaction on Facebook (but NOT MySpace, which is “suspicious,” like PacMan Jones).

And if you need one more reason to like Kige Ramsey, then here it is: His mom roots for the Badgers.

“I really like the team you guys have there. I really hope you keep playing,” said Mom.

This is Dave McGrath, Herald Sports.

Dave McGrath is Badger Herald sports editor emeritus, and currently covers the Green Bay Packers for the Shawano Leader. He would like some reader feedback, so just post your answers on the comment section below (pointing down). 1. What is your favorite team? 2. What did you have for lunch? 3. Where do you want to live when you are old? 4. What team do you root for the most? 5. What is your least favorite TV show? 6. If this column were sponsored by a corporation, what corp. would it be?