Anderson breaks UW’s all-time scoring record in win

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]WBB_GAMER_BCrox[/media-credit]

In her four seasons as a Badger, senior Jolene Anderson has now scored more points than any men?s or women?s basketball player in UW history.

With less than eight minutes to go in the game against Indiana on Wednesday, Anderson nailed a shot from the corner, notching the record-setting point. This breaks the previous record set by Alando Tucker last season.

?Congratulations to Jolene Anderson. She is a fantastic player who has really taken Wisconsin to another level,? Indiana head coach Felisha Legette-Jack said. ?I had an opportunity to coach her in Olympic basketball, and it was my privilege and my honor.?

Shooting 57 percent from the field against Indiana, Anderson was able to tally 18 points, raising the record four points to the current record of 2,222 points, with three regular season games remaining. Anderson leads the Big Ten conference this season in scoring with 20.4 points per game as she builds her resume for Big Ten Player of the Year honors.

Anderson went into the half with seven points, and her team well ahead in the game, 39-25. Ultimately, the most important thing to Anderson is a win for her team and to provide a boost heading into the postseason.

?It definitely mattered more to get the ?W? then to get the scoring record,? Anderson said. ?I came into the game thinking we have to get a win for our team, and if the scoring record came it came, and if it didn?t, then there will always be next game.?

Coming out of the half, Anderson came closer with a quick jumper, five points shy of the record. The next possession was a similar result, with Anderson converting on a 3-point attempt, shooting 33 percent from beyond the arc. Fatigue becoming an issue, Anderson turned the ball over three times in succession, forcing head coach Lisa Stone to pull her star out to regain composure.

Anderson sat for under two minutes, only to return to the game. Off a Rae Lin D?Alie steal, Anderson had a fast break opportunity, with one defender standing between her and UW history. Two feet from the basket, Anderson dished the ball to teammate Mariah Dunham, who converted the layup.

?On the breakaway with Mariah, I knew it was for the record, but I saw Mariah so I gave it to her,? Anderson said. ?I did the same thing in high school, but whatever. When I finally did make the shot, I was like ? thank God it?s over with.?

Once official, a timeout was taken and the Kohl Center crowd got to their feet in support of Anderson. Stone benched Anderson at the time to further enjoy the moment, and the timeout ended with an official recognition by the announcer.

?Today was a big day for Jolene Anderson, to become the all-time leading scorer, both male and female,? Stone said. ?It is a wonderful feat, and she?ll credit her teammates because that?s the way she is.?

Anderson grabbed ten rebounds and dished out three assists to go along with the already historical day.

She has scored double digits in 113 of 118 career games, hitting at least one 3-pointer in 100 of those games.

Contributing to her record point total in her career are the seven double-doubles she?s posted this season, with 25 for her career, currently ranked fifth all-time at UW.

?[Setting the record] will definitely [mean something] to me. It hasn?t sunk in yet, but by the time I graduate and I?m away from the University of Wisconsin, I?m sure it will,? Anderson said. ?It?s definitely something I?m proud of and how I?ve persevered through the years, but right now it?s just focus on Minnesota.?

Anderson has been chasing and breaking records all season, with this particular achievement being the most notable. With three games left on the schedule, and Iowa at home, she can raise the scoring bar even higher. Now, as Anderson stated, the pressure is gone, and she has left her mark in yet another UW record book.