Seniors honored as grapplers take on Michigan

Coming off a tough road loss last weekend at the hands of Illinois, the University of Wisconsin wrestling team has little time to dwell on the past. Friday night, the Badgers will welcome 10th-ranked Michigan before hitting the road Sunday to take on Border Battle rival and fourth-ranked Minnesota.

Michigan is also coming off a tough weekend, losing two duals at the hands of Penn State and Ohio State. The Wolverines currently sit in a three-way tie for sixth place along with the Badgers and the Nittany Lions.

Friday night, the Cardinal and White will also salute six seniors who are near the end of their careers here in Madison. They are: two-time NCAA qualifier Dan Clum at 174 pounds, three-time NCAA qualifier Collin Cudd at 125 pounds, NCAA qualifier Jake Donar at 165 pounds, two-time All-American Craig Henning at 157 pounds, NCAA qualifier Matt Maciag at 174 pounds and Zach Menne at 174 pounds.

Head coach Barry Davis knows this year?s senior night will be an emotional one.

?It?s tough; you?ve had the guys here this long,? Davis said. ?You don?t realize how fast time does go. It?s a special night for them, and it should be, with as much time they spent here and the commitment to the program. But they know what it?s about ? it?s about March. Just a chance to pay tribute to them and the time they?ve spent here. It?s nice to honor those guys.?

Michigan returns four All-Americans from last year?s squad, a squad the Badgers defeated 21-15 in Ann Arbor last season. Four matches Friday night feature both competitors ranked individually, including two top 10 wrestlers at 141 with the Badgers? Kyle Ruschell ? currently ranked sixth ? facing off against 10th-ranked Kellen Russell.

?They?ve got some good individuals,? Davis said. ?There?ll be some real good match-ups. It?ll be a great Big Ten dual meet.?

Following Friday night?s dual, the Badgers will hit I-94 northwest to head to Minneapolis to take part in the Border Battle. Minnesota, the reigning NCAA and Big Ten Champions, is currently ranked fourth. Sunday will also be a key match-up in the battle for the TDS Border Battle Cup, a yearlong battle with Minnesota. Currently, Wisconsin leads the standings 165-115, and the winners of Sunday?s match will give their school 40 points in the competition.

True freshman Kendall Vogel, one of the few bright spots against Illinois last week, knows that two wins this weekend would be huge for this team.

?It would definitely be a confidence booster,? Vogel said. ?Especially if we could get a win against Minnesota. Every dual this year has been wide open, and it?s just about who?ll get the job done.?

Minnesota is currently third in the Big Ten with a 4-1 record in conference behind undefeated Iowa and 6-1 Ohio State. The Gophers return four All-Americans from last year?s championship squad, including the champion at 149 Dustin Schlatter. The Gophers also currently have seven of their 10 wrestlers ranked nationally.

Junior Justin Peterson, who normally wrestles at 174, was bumped up to 184 last weekend because of an injury to Trevor Brandvold. The move worked well for the Badgers, and Peterson picked up a win. Davis does not know yet if Peterson will suit up at 174, 184 or even at all, but Peterson feels confident at either weight.

?I felt great bumping up a weight class,? Peterson said. ?I had a lot more energy and a lot more stamina at that weight class.?

So with the lineup still somewhat in the air for this weekend, there are a few things this team knows. They know two wins this weekend would put the Badgers at 4-3 in the Big Ten heading into the finale next weekend against Northwestern. They know too that two wins, according to Peterson, would also give this team an immense momentum push.

?We?re looking forward to it; we just have to focus ourselves on our individual matches, and the team aspect will work itself out. This weekend could give us a lot of momentum heading into the Big Tens and the NCAAs. It?s important to peak at the right time, and I think that?s what our team is doing right now ? we?re peaking at the right time.?