Preseason no trouble for Badgers

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]WBB_JS[/media-credit]

Despite ending its exhibition season averaging 97 points per game, head coach Lisa Stone would like to see more than just points during the regular season.

With impressive performances from the team’s freshmen and bench, as well as the continued success of preseason Big Ten Player of the Year Jolene Anderson, Wisconsin was able to enjoy success in the preseason.

Using the exhibition games as a learning tool, Stone wants her team to learn from the experience, regardless of its opponent’s skill level.

“It’s less about the score and more about playing somebody different,” Stone said in her Monday press conference. “[UW-Stout] posed a fast-breaking offense, so now we can talk about press offense and defensive transition.”

For some, this first chance to play a game in front of the Kohl Center crowd was a test of their composure and ability to perform under pressure.

“The lights went on, and they performed,” Stone said of Wisconsin’s newcomers. “I’m proud of them for that. We treated these exhibition games like it was the biggest game of the year, and that’s what we have to stay focused on.”

Plenty of depth this season

With a strong supporting cast, this year’s squad doesn’t have to rely as much on the starter’s output as previous ones. The play on the court during the preseason offered proof to that effect, as the first five Wisconsin points against Stout were scored by freshman reserve Lin Zastrow. The depth of the team allows for different combinations and rotations, an option that Stone feels will prove invaluable.

“Our kids are excited. A lot of them want to play. “