Bultman has 6th sense

[media-credit name=’GREG DIXON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]MSoccer_8_GD[/media-credit]Call it soccer intangibles. Call it a sixth sense. Call it a killer instinct. Whatever "it" is, Brian Bultman possesses it.

Bultman, a sophomore forward for the University of Wisconsin men's soccer team, has consistently provided the sparks for the Badgers' offense this season with a combination of sheer athleticism and offensive savvy.

"If anyone was to describe Brian, they would say how he is so opportunistic," UW head coach Jeff Rohrman said. "He has a sort of sixth sense of where the ball is going to end up on a rebound, or a shot, or a deflection. He seems to be one of those guys that's in the right place at the right time and has a sense of where things are going to pop out. He does a good job at putting [rebounds] away."

So far this season, Bultman, who has started all nine of the Badgers' games, has asserted himself as one of the more dynamic players on the Wisconsin offense.

Coming into Wednesday's game against in-state rival UW-Milwaukee, Bultman led the team with eight points on four goals. His most dramatic goal came against a tough Western Michigan squad Sept. 2, when his tally proved to be the game-winner in UW’s first victory of the season.

Standing just under six feet tall and weighing less than 170 pounds, Bultman relies much on his keen offensive intuition to produce scoring opportunities for the Badgers.

"It comes from years of playing," Bultman said. "I've always been a forward because I've always had that ability to get in the box and put [shots] away.

"It also comes from the team, though. Playing with the guys everyday, you build chemistry with your teammates, which makes it easier during games to put those shots away."
Bultman's knack for making big plays this season has raised the eyebrows of teammates and coaches.

"Certainly when you look at him and watch him, he possesses a great deal of athleticism," Rohrman said. "He's extremely quick, he's good on the turn and he's got a great mindset for scoring goals.

"I think that's a very positive quality and one that really helps him get on the end of things. He does a good job of pouncing on those loose balls."

Bultman, a native of Tucson, Ariz., came to UW with an impressive high school résumé. As a junior, Bultman scored a school record 39 goals, including seven in a single game.

As a freshman last season, he showed brief flashes of brilliance when he scored three goals on four shots, all of which came in the same game.

But with all young players, Bultman's game leaves much to be desired. Under the tutelage of Rohrman, there is little doubt that Bultman can develop into one of the Big Ten's marquee players.

"He has gotten away with a lot of his athleticism up to this point," Rohrman said. "I think he does a great job when he gets in behind defenses and when he gets into one-on-one situations, but some of the other things that a forward needs to bring, Brian is still improving on.

"Certainly he has the will and determination to improve on those areas. He's one of these guys that stays late and works on those components."

Despite his numerous accolades and seemingly limitless talent, Bultman maintains a blue-collar mentality and constantly critiques his game.

"I need to work on a lot of things to become a better player," Bultman said. "I need to get a quick release and a better shot, that way I'll be able to score a lot more goals."

Rohrman is quick to praise Bultman for his team-oriented attitude. "One of the qualities that I like in him is that he is humble. … He understands that he has a few weaknesses, but he's not afraid to acknowledge that or work at it and strive to get better everyday," Rohrman said.

Unfortunately, after jumping out to an impressive 5-2-2 start, the Badgers have stumbled in recent weeks. Their last two games against Big Ten rivals Michigan State and Northwestern have both ended in disappointing 3-0 losses.

In both games, the UW defense was marred by numerous breakdowns and unlucky bounces while the offense squandered multiple scoring chances around the goal.

Heading into the final stretch of the season, the Badgers will need to capitalize every scoring opportunity that emerges if they hope to continue their run at a Big Ten Championship.
To do so, it seems likely the Badgers will be counting on Bultman to provide some much needed offensive firepower in upcoming weeks.