Carpenter crafts game

In Sierra Madre, Calif., it is currently 67 degrees and sunny. Here in Madison, it is 14 degrees and completely frigid.

There is a huge difference in the climate and environment of both states, something any athlete must adjust to.

Liz Carpenter, a sophomore on the Wisconsin tennis team, has had to alter her game as a result of playing more indoors than outdoors in Madison.

"I've never really been in this kind of weather for long, so when I came out here, we play indoors for most of the season," Carpenter said. "It's different adjusting to indoor courts because they are a lot faster. It also takes away the elements from playing outdoors like the wind and sun."

The choice to come to Madison and play was influenced by Carpenter's grandmother — who attended UW for one year — but Carpenter fell in love with the school when she came here on her own.

After checking out multiple schools, she made her choice.

"When I came out here to visit, I had already seen all the other schools I was interested in," Carpenter said. "I fell in love with the school, I thought it was a great sports town and I loved the coaches and athletic program. It was the best out of everything I had seen."

She first started playing tennis at the age of 4, taking lessons and playing with her grandfather. In fact, it was the influence and persistence of her grandpa, a former Stanford tennis player, that helped Carpenter pursue a passion for the sport.

She began playing competitively, and by the time she was 13, she made the big decision to play in college.

From then on, Carpenter began working toward a goal to achieve a scholarship and advance her tennis career.

"I played a lot of sports, and I thought I would try to get a scholarship for something," Carpenter said. "I really took a liking to tennis and decided to try to get a full scholarship to play in college."

This season has been a successful one for Carpenter with a preseason ranking of No. 58 with doubles partner Caitlin Burke.

Even with a ranking, she continues to push herself to improve as a player every time she is on the court.

"Every match, whether I win or lose, I'm looking for improvements in my game," Carpenter said.

Unfortunately, the team has been suffering from recent injuries, including Burke. Carpenter has persevered and is now developing chemistry with new partner Kalyan Caitati.

While Carpenter may prefer singles, she has been having fun playing doubles alongside a partner — something many tennis players must learn and adjust to.

"I love doubles because you have someone else on the court with you and you're not beating yourself up," said Carpenter. "You have someone there to pick you up the rest of the match and help you out. I think doubles is really fun."

Carpenter's determination and love for the game has allowed her to get this far, and she will need to lean on it to continue improving.

Every year she is being pushed and challenged; this is year isn't any different.

With injuries on the team, she has found herself having to step up and adjust to changes in partners or her ranking while using her strengths to her advantage.

"I feel serving is one of my best strengths," said Carpenter. "I have pretty good placement and certain spins. I have a powerful serve."

While she is a force on the court, before matches she does her best to calm herself down.

"I try not to put too much pressure on myself before a match," said Carpenter. "I relax, talk with my teammates and treat it like any other day, but once I'm on the court, I zone in."