UW rowers set for Big Ten meet

True tests of strength, skill and concentration will be in store for the Wisconsin women's crew team as it heads to the Big Ten Championships this Saturday.

"We have been training so hard for so long," said UW head coach Bebe Bryans. "The Big Ten Championships have been one of the main targets for us. We are anxious to test all the training that we have done."

Having only a month on Lake Mendota to truly prepare for the conference championships (due to weather) has indeed hindered the Badgers' performance in prior regattas.

Looking back two weeks, the varsity eight ran into some difficulty against Michigan and Michigan State in a Big Ten double dual. The Wolverines swept the varsity eight events, while the Spartans won three races in the morning events.

"They were better than we were on that day," Bryans said. "That is for sure. That is just the way it went. We are really happy to have the opportunity to race them again."

While the varsity eight experienced some early trouble, the novice eight has had a superb season, sweeping all races in the double dual.

With their success, the novice eight will hold the top seed over Minnesota and Michigan State heading into the Big Ten Championships. Additionally, Wisconsin's second varsity four also holds the top position over Ohio State.

"If we needed extra motivation, [the rankings] would probably do it," Bryans said of the team's current standing. "We are really fired up. All the boats are pretty eager. We have been taking it day by day and trying to improve each day. We will definitely be ready on Saturday."

The varsity eight crew ranks No. 5 and No. 4 in both varsity eight events. Rounding out the regatta is the first varsity four squad, who ranks fifth out of seven boats.
Wisconsin's three top-ranked boats are the most of any squad. Ohio State has two top-ranked boats, both in the varsity eight; while Michigan State holds the No. 1 spot in the varsity four.

In the seven-year-old championships, the Wolverines have typically been the team to beat, as they have won four championships. Last year, the title went to the Spartans after they squeaked by the Buckeyes for a one-point victory.

"Michigan has perennially been the team to beat," Bryans explained. "They have won it more than anyone else. No matter what they go in seeded, in my mind they are always one of the favorites, because they find a way to get it done."

Wisconsin has yet to claim a conference title, and it would be a huge feat for the squad to do it this Saturday. Last year, the Badgers faired third overall.

"[Winning] would be huge for everyone," Bryans said. "You have to be really fast and have everything together on that day to be successful. It would be a huge accomplishment for any team to bring home a title and we would love to be a part of that.

"It's getting so competitive now. It's so exciting," Bryans added. "It's really anyone's race and that is the way it should be."

Lightweights: While the openweights are off vying for a championship victory, the light weights will have one last regatta, the Eastern Sprints, in preparation for their conference championships in two weeks. The team will compete against Georgetown this weekend.

In USRowing.com's collegiate poll, the Badgers hold the No. 3 national ranking, while Georgetown is ranked fourth.

"They are getting ready for the Eastern league, so this is their final tune up for that," Bryans said. "They are using it for great competition. Hopefully, it will go well for them."