Earl-y exit: UW star inks deal with Maple Leafs

[media-credit name=’YANA PASKOVA/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]earl_yp[/media-credit]The Wisconsin men's hockey team knew that it was going to take a hit next season with the loss of five key graduating seniors. Junior Robbie Earl deepened that wound Friday when he announced that he will forego his senior season and sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Earl led the Badgers with 24 goals this year and finished second on the squad with 50 points. He will begin his professional career with the Toronto Marlies, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Maple Leafs, when they begin their playoffs next Sunday.

"Today I decided to leave school and join the Toronto Marlies in the playoffs … and sign a contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs," Earl said a news conference Friday. "It's been a tricky three days. I didn't expect it to happen this quick."

Earl was the 187th pick overall (sixth round) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft by the Maple Leafs.

"Robbie evolved into one of the top performers for the NCAA champions this season, and we are delighted to have him on board," Leafs general manager John Ferguson said in a statement. "His recent success as a key member of the champion Badgers is a big boost for his future development at the professional level."

Earl spent a lot of time with UW head coach Mike Eaves while trying to make his decision. Eaves not only played and coached in the NHL, but also went through a similar process with his son Patrick in previous years.

Wisconsin's fourth-year head coach said he gave Earl advice based on being at a point where it will be easier for him to finish school at some point down the road and being at a point where he has the most earning power.

"He has a little more leverage right now if he signs because he gets an extra year," Eaves said. "And I think the way he played at the end … provided good basis to create earning power that is better right now."

"It's tough leaving a situation where you know what it's like and you have a great supporting cast around you," Earl said. "It's scary being young and having to take that big step … but I'm just glad I made my decision."

Earl also said that his recent success and the success of the Badgers were a large factor.

He was named the Most Outstanding Player in the NCAA Frozen Four last weekend when Wisconsin defeated Boston College 2-1 to win the school's sixth national championship.

"My biggest thing is being a winner, and I think I've had the opportunity to do that, and that's the biggest thing for me, being able to succeed and win at this level, and that's something I've done," Earl said. "That pretty much gave me the courage to take this next step."

Earl was not only the top goal-scorer on the team, but also he was the fastest skater and one of the most skilled players with the puck.

The Badgers' top line was already going to be missing its third member, senior captain Adam Burish. Now it will need to be completely revamped, as the only returning top-line forward is sophomore Joe Pavelski, who led the team with 56 points.

"It's very much a hole for us — a tough one to fill," Eaves said. "Not only do you lose a 24-goal scorer, 50-point guy, but a big-game player and a young man that was really coming into his own in terms of his maturity and his leadership. We'll have to replace Robbie by committee."

While the Badgers try to regroup without him, Earl enters another interesting opportunity. Having already helped UW turn the program around in the past three years, he will try to help do the same thing when and if he gets his chance with the Maple Leafs.

Toronto's playoff hopes ended Saturday and the club is looking to regroup around a core of younger players.

"They are a team right now that is in a little bit of a changing-over period," Eaves said. "They've got a lot of old players, and they're looking for young, talented players to come in."

"Right now it's just meeting people and showing what I can do at this point," Earl said.

He will join Ryan Suter, Rene Bourque and Andy Wozniewski — who, coincidentally, is currently playing defense for the Marlies — on the list of former UW players who played under Eaves, in the NHL.

And while he only spent three years playing under Eaves at UW, he also spent two seasons with him at the National Team Developmental Program before the two came to Wisconsin.

"I've been with him for five years, and he's guided me every inch of the way," Earl said of Eaves. "That's something I'll use for the rest of my career."

Earl is hoping to be in the lineup for the Marlies' playoff opener Sunday against the Grand Rapids Griffins.