Business as usual for Mike Wilkinson

His tale is something of a Wisconsin legend. It has been told, retold and told again in every newspaper, magazine and basketball telecast in the country. Yet, no matter how many times the story of Mike Wilkinson is repeated, it never seems to grow old.

He is the local kid made good; the farm boy from Blue Mounds, Wis., who grew up to become a star for his home team. All because of a simple approach.

“You’ve got to show up and work every day and good things will happen,” Wilkinson said.

A blue-collar work ethic has defined Wilkinson’s basketball career. He approaches every rebound and loose ball with the same no-nonsense attitude he would bring to unloading hay or milking cows. That grit and determination have made him the poster child for Wisconsin basketball.

“He’s the type of player we get,” Wisconsin associate head coach Rob Jeter said. “A guy who isn’t a McDonald’s All-American, wasn’t on all the national lists as a top-20 player, but can play with anybody in the country because he works at it.”

Wilkinson came to the University of Wisconsin a skinny freshman with a soft touch. Through hard work, he will depart Madison as one of the nation’s most well-rounded players, a forward as tough in the post as he is dangerous from the perimeter. He is the only active player in the country with career totals of 1,400 points, 800 rebounds, 200 assists, 150 steals and 100 blocked shots.

“He’s really done a lot to his game,” Jeter said. “Coming out of high school, he was able to do whatever he wanted. At this level in order to be effective he had to be stronger and more efficient around the basket.”

In order to transform his game, Wilkinson first learned he needed to transform his body. Wisconsin’s Mr. Basketball as a senior at Wisconsin Heights High School, he took a redshirt season in 2000-01 to prepare for the rigors of Big Ten basketball. Game days were spent on the sidelines, while practices were spent battling with veterans like Andy Kowske, Mark Vershaw and Charlie Wills.

“It was frustrating sitting on the bench, watching games and knowing you can’t get out there and help the team when you know you could,” Wilkinson said.

Wilkinson quickly endeared himself to Badger fans with his workmanlike style of play.

After averaging 9.1 points per game off the bench as a freshman, he moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore and never looked back, improving his scoring and rebounding numbers in each of the next two seasons.

As a senior, Wilkinson’s approach did not change, only his role. No longer was he in the shadow of Kirk Penney or Devin Harris. No longer was he the secondary option on offense.

Wisconsin was his team now. He has not disappointed.

Although the spotlight might have been shining a bit brighter, Wilkinson kept working. As usual, he got the job done, to the tune of 14.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per contest. In Big Ten play he was even better, upping his scoring averaging to 16.3 points per game.

“I still tried to do the same type of things: Play good defense, take good shots, move the ball, rebound,” Wilkinson said with a shrug. “I just happened to find myself a few more shots here and there.”

As frontcourt mate Alando Tucker fought through injuries, Wilkinson was solid as a rock. Shooting a career-best 52.5 percent from the field, the 6-foot-8 forward has turned in the best season of his decorated four-year career.

“Mike’s meant a great deal to this team,” Tucker said. “When we’ve needed him to step up in big games, he’s done that.”

Wilkinson has recorded seven 20-point games in this, his final season in the cardinal and white. In doing so, he has emerged as one of the conference’s premier big men. His success earned him first-team all-Big Ten status, an honor the humble Wilkinson accepted with his trademark business-as-usual attitude.

“It’s a nice honor, but there’s more important things for me and the team to think about,” Wilkinson said. “I’ve always said my success and the team’s success are one in the same. We’ve still got a lot left to accomplish, it’s not over. It’s a nice honor, I’m proud of it but the reason I got there was me and my teammates.”

More important to Wilkinson than personal accolades are wins and losses. He will leave the program having made four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. Also on his resume will be two Big Ten regular-season titles and a Big Ten tournament championship.

His hard work has indeed paid off.

“It’s been fun,” Wilkinson said. “The guys have been great, the coaches have been great and the fans have been amazing. I’ve enjoyed it every step of the way.”