Ex-OSU phenom accuses Tressel of offering benefits

While holding a 3-3 record in Big Ten play meant Ohio State coach Jim Tressel has already been feeling heat from local and national media, his list of problems has gotten longer this week.

With the Maurice Clarett firestorm re-ignited by a story in this week’s ESPN: The Magazine, Tressel now has to face questions about Clarett’s allegations of Tressel’s role in several NCAA rules violations.

Clarett alleged Tressel arranged a loaner car for him as well as money from alumni boosters. But Tressel remained tight-lipped Wednesday when asked about the article.

“I haven’t seen it, but we’ve been busy getting ready for Purdue … that takes all of our attention,” Tressel said. “I haven’t seen anything of the article or any of the allegations or whatever, and today, in fairness to our group of young people, our focus is 100 percent on Purdue.”

Spartans set to host Badgers: After two tough losses against Michigan and Ohio State, John L. Smith’s Michigan State team must face Big Ten leader Wisconsin Saturday. Smith was his usual optimistic self in assessing the situation for his Spartans.

“We’ve had a couple tough weeks here, and you’re going from the frying pan to the fire with Wisconsin coming up, and we got to try and re-group after last week and see if we can’t go to field and be a little better,” Smith said.

Smith was quick to praise the Wisconsin linemen when asked what the key element of the Badger’s success has been so far this season.

“I think it’s the players, definitely, everybody’s got a tough scheme, and you got to plan your plan to coincide with their scheme,” Smith said. “I think their offensive front and defensive front combined as a team are the best we’ve seen … They’ve got good personnel all over the field … If you have that front you can do a lot of things.”

With last week’s explosion, Smith observed that the Wisconsin offense has gotten tougher for opposing coaches to stop.

“I think it makes them a ton more (dangerous),” Smith said. “It expands everything you have to prepare for now … They’re starting to open it up because apparently they’re feeling more comfortable with their (quarterback) … He’s a threat.”

Wolverines set to battle Wildcats: Michigan coach Lloyd Carr’s team comes into this week’s match-up with Northwestern off a bye-week, and according to Carr, that rest will be needed against the Wildcats.

“They are a very, very physical team that plays very hard on defense, and we are looking forward to the challenge they will present,” Carr said.

In recent years, the match-up between the two teams has developed into a solid rivalry marked with upsets, close games and some questionable officiating. When asked if his team was used to the pressure of being of being a target for an upset this and almost every week, Carr was philosophical.

“That’s a difficult question for me to answer,” Carr said. “I do think as a team, as a player, as a coach, everybody you play is going to give you their best effort. I think that’s one of the challenges at a program like Michigan, that you’re going to get everybody’s best shot … From my coaching experience it really is very different. You don’t worry about what the rivalries are, you just recognize that they are there, almost every week … Even when they aren’t rivalries that you play ever year, those other teams are going to make them into big games for their season … It’s part of playing and coaching at Michigan.”

Hawkeyes healing up: Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz has seen his team overcome considerable losses to injuries and battle to a 7-2 overall record and a No. 19 national ranking so far this season. When asked what was the reason for this success in the face of adversity, Ferentz was quick to praise his players.

“The credit goes to our players,” Ferentz said. “They’ve remained focused, they’ve taken an attitude that whatever adversity they’ve experienced, that’s not going to affect they’re attitude … We’ve had a lot of guys step in a lot of ways … We’re just surviving.”

No respect in the BCS: Despite an undefeated record on the season so far, Wisconsin is currently not likely to play in a national championship game because of Auburn, Oklahoma and USC all also being undefeated and higher ranked in the Bowl Championship Series rankings. Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez expressed support for a four-team playoff when asked for his feelings on the BCS controversy.

“Yeah I always thought that,” Alvarez said. “That would give credence to a true national champion … Having four teams that were rated as we are right now and then have an additional game … You could get a closer, true national champion.”