Badger softball team prepares for Northern Iowa

After a disappointing couple of Big Ten games last weekend, the Badger women’s softball team looks to get back to its winning ways with a non-conference game today in Cedar Falls, Iowa, against the University of Northern Iowa.

Last weekend saw the Badgers split two-game sets with both Purdue and Indiana, dropping their conference record to 5-7.

Wisconsin continues to rely offensively upon the duo of Kris Zacher and Boo Gillette, who have provided much of the Badgers’ firepower at the plate this year. Zacher currently holds a .356 average with 29 RBI, and had a strong performance last weekend, posting a multiple-hit game in the Badgers’ triumph over Purdue.

Gillette has been just as effective, posting a .352 average, in addition to 32 RBI and a team-leading 14 doubles. Gillette also had a strong showing last weekend, highlighted by a solo homerun in the Badgers’ loss to Purdue.

Zacher and Gillette have been the key element in every Badger victory this season. Zacher is hitting .477 in the Badgers’ 25 wins but only .183 in UW’s 21 losses. Twenty-eight of Gillette’s 32 RBI this year have come in Wisconsin victories.

The Badgers, now 25-21 overall, will look to Gillette and Zacher to come up with some runs in their first-ever meeting with Northern Iowa, as the Panthers have struggled all year to find consistency at the plate.

Last weekend the Panthers played Evansville in a three-game set, emerging with one victory. Their record now stands at 10-27 overall and 4-12 in the weak Missouri Valley conference.

So far this season, the Panthers have relied on strong performances from sophomore infielder Rachel Rogers, who leads Northern Iowa at the plate with six homers, 17 RBI, two triples and 11 runs scored while hitting for a .204 average. Also contributing is junior infielder Erin Strellner, who currently is the Panthers’ hits leader, with 31 for a .282 average. Strellner also has 10 RBI and 11 doubles.

On the mound, Northern Iowa has relied heavily upon Julie Phillips, who leads UNI’s pitching staff with a 2.88 ERA and a 3-9 record in 17 appearances. The senior has gone the distance in six of her 12 starts and has recorded one shutout.

After facing the Panthers today, Wisconsin faces a heady test, traveling to Ann Arbor for a Sunday-afternoon battle with the No. 9 Michigan Wolverines, who stand at the top of the Big Ten with a 11-1 record.