Princeton not match for Wisconsin wrestlers

The 16th-ranked Wisconsin wrestling team easily defeated a shorthanded Princeton team 32-9 Saturday afternoon in Princeton, N.J. Wisconsin improves its 2003-04 dual record to 5-1-0, while Princeton goes to 1-1-0.

With Princeton lacking its two most experienced wrestlers due to illness, Brian Kirchbaum (133) and Joe Looke (Hwt.), the Badgers took control of the meet from the start as junior Joe Chose shutout Nate Rawlings 8-0, to earn a major-decision victory. Next up for the Badgers were sophomores Tom Clum (125) and Ed Gutnik (133). Clum defeated the Tiger’s Kenny Chu 9-2 and Gutnik pinned Stephen Savin in 38 seconds.

Wisconsin only lost one match on the day and had a forfeit at 165 pounds.

Wrestlers Cole Wunnicke, Tyler Turner, Adam Turner and Ryan Flaherty all won decision victories.

At 197 pounds, DeForest, Wis., native Lee Kraemer continued his winning ways, pinning Matt Hawrilenko in the final period at 5:44. The pin solidified the Badgers’ last road victory of 2003, as Wisconsin doesn’t wrestle again until Jan. 3, 2004 at the Lonestar Duals.

The wrestling match between No. 13 Hofstra and No. 16 Wisconsin was cancelled today due to inclement weather.

-compiled from staff reports