Former Badgers making names for themselves in NFL

While Jim Sorgi, Lee Evans and Jeff Mack are winding up their careers in Madison, those who donned the cardinal and white before them are making an impact in the NFL.

Some names come to mind quicker than others: Chris Chambers, currently the star wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins; Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne, who rides the bench for the New York Giants, All-Pro Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Troy Vincent and the Vikings’ Michael Bennett, who recently returned from a foot injury to reclaim his place as Minnesota’s starting running back.

Other former Badger players in the NFL are not obvious to the average football fan. For example, in 2000, the Green Bay Packers selected tackle Mark Tauscher in the seventh round (224 pick overall). Tauscher is now starting for the Packers’ underrated offensive line. Tauscher has started 44 out of 46 games for the Packers since his rookie year in 2000.

In the 1993-94 season, the Badgers won their first of three Rose Bowls in that decade. Readily known Badger stars from that team include Brent Moss and Darrell Bevell. Paving the way for them on the offensive line was center Cory Raymer. In 1995, the Washington Redskins selected Raymer in the second round pick (37th overall). Other than the 2000 season he missed due to injury, Raymer started 16 games each year between 1998 and 2001. He is currently playing for the San Diego Chargers, starting four out of 12 games this season.

Safety Jason Doering, a star on the 2000 Rose Bowl team, is currently playing for the Indianapolis Colts. Selected in the sixth round (193rd overall), Doering has averaged over 20 tackles per season. In his rookie season, Doering forced one fumble.

Another star from the 1999 and 2000 Badger Rose Bowl championship teams is cornerback Jamar Fletcher. Although the flashy Fletcher is well known in Madison, he is overshadowed on the Miami Dolphins’ staggering defense by Junior Seau, Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas. Fletcher, who injured himself on Thanksgiving against the Dallas Cowboys, was selected by the Dolphins in the first round, 26th overall in the 2001 NFL draft. In his three years in the NFL, Fletcher has 48 tackles and two interceptions.

Ron Dayne enjoyed a record breaking career in a Wisconsin uniform behind the pancake blocks of offensive tackle Aaron Gibson. Selected by the Detroit Lions in the first round of the draft (27th overall), Gibson played until he was injured his rookie year. Over the next five years, he has played for two other teams: the Dallas Cowboys and currently, the Chicago Bears. He has started all 12 games for the Bears this season.

Continuing the tradition of Wisconsin offensive linemen is tackle Jerry Wunsch. Currently a member of the Seattle Seahawks, Wunsch was selected 37th overall in the second round of the 1997 NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In both 2000 and 2001, Wunsch started all 16 games for the Bucs, who were in the playoffs both years.

These former Badgers are not the most important player on their NFL teams. However, these men are key pieces to the puzzle for their respective teams to win in the NFL. Through the years, the Wisconsin Badgers have produced some of the best and most consistent offensive linemen in the pros.

With the 2003 season drawing to a close, a new crop of Badgers will look to take their game to the professional ranks and continue the success of their predecessors in the NFL.