Bruckler’s consistency key to Badgers’ hopes

Bernd Bruckler is getting there.

The junior netminder, who was named the Badgers’ full-time starter for the first time this year, boasts quick reflexes and a fiery competitive spirit, which have impressed his goaltending coach, Bill Howard.

In fact, Howard believes that Bruckler’s talent even rivals that of former UW greats Mike Richter and Curtis Joseph.

That’s quite a statement, but Howard should know, having worked with all three in his 30-plus years with the Wisconsin men’s hockey program.

“The potential is there for him to be every bit as good [as Richter and Joseph],” Howard said. “He’s just got to be more consistent and stop beating himself so much.”

There, unfortunately, is the rub.

No one questions Bruckler’s ability in goal, but at this point in his career his consistency, and his focus from night to night and shot to shot are still progressing.

“That consistency, [from] Friday to Saturday night, [and] breakdowns in his concentration are still areas we have to address,” Howard said.

Bruckler occasionally drifts back too far in his net and fails to square up to the shooter, relying on his reflexes rather than solid technique.

“I want to play out a step further than I have the last few games,” Bruckler admitted.

Still, he believes that his mental toughness is improving as he continues to learn the craft of his position and adjusts to the starter’s role.

“Definitely, I think I’m getting mentally tougher as the season goes on and I’m learning to play back-to-back-to-back-to-back, and [seeing] more shots and [getting] more experience has given me that mental edge,” Bruckler said.

Last weekend’s series against Minnesota was a good example.

Bruckler struggled early on both nights, as the Gophers jumped out to a 3-1 lead in each game. In each instance, however, the goalie shut the door the rest of the way, allowing a resilient Wisconsin team to rally for a 3-3 tie Friday and a 4-3 win a night later.

Bruckler’s performance was punctuated by a huge left-pad save to preserve the tie late in Saturday’s contest, which came moments before Adam Burish scored the shorthanded goal that proved to be the eventual game-winner.

“We came out Saturday, and we were a little flat,” said UW head coach Mike Eaves. “And through his play, he allowed us to get our feet going and our legs going and start to play the way that we’re capable of … he made key saves at the big times.”

That’s what the Badgers need out of their goaltender as they look to him to provide some stability behind a talented but inexperienced young team.

Bruckler, who thus far has a 2.80 goals-against average and a .906 save percentage in WCHA play, clearly relishes his role as the no. 1 guy.

“I really enjoy being the backbone of the team, being in there every night [and] facing a lot of shots and high-quality competition,” he said.

That positive attitude is one of Bruckler’s best traits, according to Howard.

“He’s a good worker,” Howard said. “He works hard, has good concentration in practice [and] comes every day to learn and get better.

“He’s easy to work with.”

And though his occasional lapses in concentration sometimes put the team behind the eight ball, Bruckler has the confidence and will to bounce back strong.

“The thing that I like the most is the fact that he battles,” Eaves said. “Even when he gives up a goal that he thinks he should have had, that doesn’t get him down mentally. He says, ‘I’m going to get the next one.'”

“Because of that fact, it allows him to get better, and it allows our team to stay in games and have a chance to make something good happen.”

And good things are starting to happen for the Badgers, who are undefeated in their last six games and currently are 3-2-1 in the WCHA and 6-3-1 overall.

If Wisconsin has designs on continuing its strong play and making the leap to the next level, they’ll need Bruckler to do so as well.

“He knows he can play better,” Eaves said. “He’s playing well, but he can play better.”