Doeh off to running start at UW

Phil Doeh is without a doubt an offensive threat for the Wisconsin Badgers men’s soccer team. The sophomore’s speed and shooting abilities have been a great benefit to the team, and the future looks to be very bright.

After an incredible high school career, it is no surprise he was recruited by some of the nation’s top soccer programs.

At Dixon High School in Illinois, Doeh was a four-year all-conference selection and is Dixon’s all-time career goals (124) and assists (49) leader. He earned all-state and all-Midwest accolades as a senior and was named to the Chicago Tribune First-Team All-State team.

Phil’s team had success as well. During his varsity career, the Dukes won four sectional championships and set a state team record for consecutive wins in his junior year. It was no surprise he was recruited by top schools. In the end he chose UW for one good reason.

“I was recruited hard by U-Conn, SMU and St. John’s. Those were the three main ones,” Doeh said. “I picked UW because it’s closer to home so my friends and family could come watch me.”

Head coach Jeff Rohrman recognizes and appreciates Doeh’s unique athletic talents.

“He brings so much on the field; he’s an incredible athlete. He’s faster than anyone we have; he’s got great quickness and great athleticism,” Rohrman said. “He’s capable of some pretty exciting things out there. He brings a different dimension in those areas … for sure I think he’ll be a big contributor in his junior and senior years as well.”

Doeh, in turn, is grateful for the opportunity to work with and learn from the UW coaching staff.

“The coaching staff is great; I just got lucky to be part of a good coaching staff,” he said. “Coach Szczepanski, Coach Rohrman, and Coach Pasquarello are three great coaches, so I consider myself lucky.”

The transition from high school to college for Doeh included adjusting to the faster-paced speed of the game.

“When I first got here I noticed that the pace of the game is a lot faster,” Doeh said. “In high school you could be slow, think a little bit slower and react slowly, but here you have to know what you want to do before you get the ball and reaction time is just a lot quicker. It has to be.”

Time management was another challenge, but Doeh willingly took it on.

“Juggling soccer and school is a full-time job. Most kids that come here, all they have to do is worry about school, whereas I have to worry [about] classes (and) after class, practice; after practice, studies. It takes a lot out of you, but I’m rising up to the occasion; this is what I want to do and I’m having a fun time doing it, adjusting to it.”

Doeh was a contributor for UW immediately in his freshman year. Last season he played in all 19 matches and started eight. He ranked second on the team in goals with six, including one hat trick, and was fifth in the Big Ten in game-winning goals with three.

So far this season he has started 11 matches, played in 15, and is tied for third on the team in scoring with three goals and one assist. He’s riding a hot goal-scoring streak, putting one in the back of the net in each of the team’s last two matches.

Doeh embraces the challenge of playing in a tough conference because he knows that it can only make him a better soccer player.

“For me personally, I like our conference. Every team’s strong. It’s just gridiron soccer, knowing each conference game we play is going to be a battle until the end. Being in a tough conference, it makes you that much better, so I consider our team lucky to be in a very strong soccer conference.”

Coach Rohrman has nothing but good things to say about his sophomore standout.

“He’s a wonderful, wonderful young man. I’m really pleased to have him with us. I feel real blessed that when I came in a guy like him was also coming in,” said Rohrman, who was also new to Wisconsin last season.

“I’ve really enjoyed working with him the last two seasons; he’s come a long way. I think even by his own admission he’d say he had kind of a rough first year, but I give him a ton of credit because he’s learned from that; he’s bounced back, he’s a much different person now. He’s grown in so many ways; it’s just real neat to see how he’s kind of come full circle from just dealing with some of the things freshmen have to deal with. Now he’s just really a joy and a pleasure to be around and have on the team.”