Morley commits to UW

Indian Hills Community College power forward Zach Morley has signed a national letter of intent with the University of Wisconsin, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Morley was in Madison over the weekend to tour the campus and meet with the basketball staff on his official visit.

The sophomore chose Wisconsin over Big Ten rival Minnesota as well as Iowa State, Utah and New Mexico. He has two years of eligibility left and looks to make immediate impact by adding depth to a shallow Badger frontcourt.

Morley averaged 16 points and eight rebounds per game this past season for the Warriors. Indian Hills is one of the more notable junior-college programs in the nation, winning three consecutive JUCO national championships from 1997-99. The Warriors’ current roster includes former Wisconsin high school player of the year honoree Greg Brown, who played for Milwaukee-Vincent.

Morley’s solid shooting touch and lanky frame caught the eyes of several Division I programs. A near-35 percentage shooter from 3-point land coupled with a high rebounding average have Morley looking like an ideal fit for Wisconsin’s swing offense.

Experts see Morley as one of the most improved players in the JUCO ranks, excelling his all-around game as a sophomore. The only area of concern for Morley is his lack of bulk and strength for a post player.

Morley’s signing completes the Badgers’ 2003 recruiting class. Appleton West’s Brian Butch, a 6-foot-11 center, and Minneapolis guard Kammron Taylor signed letters of intent to Wisconsin in the fall.