Wisconsin presence felt in Stanley Cup playoffs

While the Badger men’s hockey season concluded over a month ago, several ex-Badgers are playing a central role in the outcome of the NHL postseason. Five former Badgers are currently on teams still competing in the first round of the NHL playoffs, each vying to get their names etched onto Lord Stanley’s cup.

Two of the most notable Badger alums still playing in the NHL’s second season are Detroit teammates Chris Chelios and Curtis Joseph. In his 20th NHL season, Chelios is making another run at the Stanley Cup. Although his point production has slipped on the offensive end, his defensive presence still commands respect from the opposition. The three-time Norris Trophy winner (award given to the league’s best defenseman) won the Stanley Cup with the Montreal Canadiens in 1986 and spent eight and a half seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks. Chelios was traded to the Red Wings during the 1998-99 season and was part of the unit that won the cup last season. In addition to his work on the blueline, Chelios provides the Wings with experience and leadership both on the ice as well as in the locker room.

In their attempt to defend their championship, the Red Wings acquired former Badger goalie Curtis Joseph from the Toronto Maple Leafs. Joseph, who has previously spent time with St. Louis, Edmonton and Toronto, was sixth in the league amongst goaltenders in wins, accumulating a 34-19-6 record. As a member of the Maple Leafs last season, Joseph, who has never reached the Stanley Cup finals, led his team to the Eastern Conference finals, before losing to the Carolina Hurricanes. Currently, Chelios, Joseph and the Red Wings are battling the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, who are positioning themselves for an upset of the defending Stanley Cup champions.

Another former Badger who continues to skate on in the NHL Playoffs is Colorado center Steve Reinprecht. Reinprecht, after playing four years of hockey here at Wisconsin, was signed by the Los Angeles Kings in 2000. However, Reinprecht has enjoyed much of his personal success since being traded to the Avalanche in 2001. In his first season in Colorado, Reinprecht posted a career-high 19 goals. This year, Reinprecht set new personal bests with 33 assists and 51 total points. Reinprecht and the rest of his Avalanche teammates are facing off against the Minnesota Wild in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.

Also playing in the Western Conference playoffs for the St. Louis Blues is former Badger Scott Mellanby. After finishing up his Badger career at the conclusion of the 1985-86 season, Mellanby was signed by the Philadelphia Flyers. Mellanby has appeared in two Stanley Cup finals, one with the Flyers in 1987 and with the Florida Panthers in 1996, ending up on the losing side in both occasions. This season, the 36-year-old forward scored 26 goals and added 31 assists, compiling his highest point total since the 1996-97 season. Mellanby continues his quest for the Cup with his Blues going head-to-head with the Vancouver Canucks in another first round series.

While Mellanby is still seeking to get his name engraved on the Stanley Cup, former Badger and current New Jersey defenseman Brian Rafalski has already accomplished this memorable feat. Rafalski was a member of the Devils team that won the Stanley Cup in 2000. After completing his collegiate career with Wisconsin, Rafalski played two years in Europe before being signed by the Devils in 1999. Since then, Rafalski has made a big splash in the NHL, eclipsing the 40-point mark each of the last three seasons. Paired up with fellow defenseman Scott Stevens, Rafalski helps make the Devils’ back line a very respected and formidable presence in the NHL. The Devils are counting on Rafalski to produce in the playoffs, as they take on the Boston Bruins in their Eastern Conference quarterfinal match-up.

Other Wisconsin alums playing in the National Hockey League but not competing in the playoffs include Dany Heatley of Atlanta, Sean Hill and Dave Tanabe of Carolina, Paul Ranheim of Phoenix, and Mike Richter of the New York Rangers.

Altogether there are 11 former Badgers playing in the NHL.