Sister act: Reiss sisters provide support for each other as well as their team

Not only are Meghann and Kaitlin Reiss sisters, but they also share the same dedication and passion for softball. Meghann Reiss, a senior at UW, is in her third year playing first base for the Badgers, while Kaitlin Reiss, a freshman, plays at third base.

The sisters are originally from Simi Valley, Calif., where they both played softball for Alemany High School. Meghann began her softball career first, playing T-ball at the tender age of five. Two years later, Kaitlin followed in her sister’s footsteps. As girls, the sisters played several different sports, including volleyball, softball, soccer and basketball. And whenever age permitted, they always played on the same team.

“We played together a lot, throughout high school. It was always fun,” Kaitlin said.

With strong familial ties to the Midwest and schools in the Big Ten, it was almost inevitable that at least one, or as it turns out, both sisters would play softball at a Big Ten school.

“Primarily my family is all from Michigan and they all went to Michigan, Michigan State, Big Ten schools. So it’s a real traditional in our family,” Meghann said. “But as soon as I got here (the University of Wisconsin) when I took my recruiting trip, I just knew … it was a perfect fit.”

While they have always been close and enjoyed playing together, when it came time for Kaitlin to choose where she wanted to attend college, Meghann didn’t push too hard for UW.

“I kind of tried backed off to let her make her own decision. I knew she was being recruited to a couple different schools,” Meghann commented. “But I was really happy that she chose to play here.”

Besides the opportunity to play with her sister, Kaitlin said that UW also offered “a beautiful campus and a great softball team.”

For head coach Karen Gallagher, having sisters on the team has been a new experience, but an extremely positive one.

“They are both outstanding young women. They have a real sense of passion and really care about each other as sisters,” Gallagher said. “Meghann is definitely the big sister; she’s certainly there to guide and point Kaitlin in the right direction. And while Kaitlin is her own person, she certainly respects what Meghann says and looks up to her.”

Earlier this year when Kaitlin was having a tough time adjusting to college life, Meghann was right here to help.

“The first semester I was pretty homesick; it was really nice to have her here,” Kaitlin said.

Meghann also felt she had been able to provide some sisterly guidance.

“She kind of looked up to me at first when she got here, not in regards to softball. I was just getting her used to college life, being away from your parents, that’s the real challenge,” Meghann said.

In addition to the support the sisters provide for each other, it’s what Meghann and Kaitlin contribute to the softball team, both in the locker room and on the field that makes this sibling duo so special.

“Meghann and Kaitlin are the kind of girls who will say I need extra batting practice or will be out there working extra on their own,” Gallagher said. “They’re just great to have on the team.”

Since her freshman year, Meghann has been a force for the Badgers, starting 10 games in 2000 before an injury forced her to redshirt. During her second year with the Badgers, Meghann was named co-captain halfway through the season.

“She’s always been very committed to the program. She’s really one of our premiere players and hardest workers,” Gallagher commented.

During the 2002 season Meghann continued to improve leading the team in batting average (.287), on base percentage (.382), hits (43) and walks (22).

As a team leader, you could say that Meghann goes by the idea that actions speak louder than words.

“She brings a lot [to the team], a lot of unspoken leadership qualities. Meghann’s not the cheerleader type, but she’s certainly respected by her coaches and her teammates,” Gallagher said.

For Meghann it’s not necessarily what she says to her teammates that makes her a leader, but rather what she does on the field that provides guidance for younger players.

“I’ve always believed that you can lead more by example of what you do on the field than what you say. It gives you a way to back up what you’re saying,” Meghann said. “If I’m saying something to address the team in a constructive manner, I’m going to make sure I’m the first one who abides by it.”

Just like her sister, Kaitlin is also becoming an integral part of the team. In the fall of 2002, her first semester with the team, Kaitlin had the third best batting average on the team at .400.

“She’s [Kaitlin] is a very determined young woman, she’ll work until you say stop. She has great work ethic,” Gallagher said. “If she’s not having a good day, she’ll stay after practice, she’ll take extra work.”

As Kaitlin begins her career with the Badgers, she hopes eventually to take on the kind of leadership role that her sister Meghann currently has on the team.

“It would be great to be a leader, it’s definitely something that I look forward to doing, it’s something I would love to do for the team,” Kaitlin said.

With only one more season left to play together, it will be the sisters’ support for each other and their team, along with their dedication and hard work, that will help strengthen and improve the Badgers’ softball team.