American League preview

Central Division

Minnesota Twins — (Last season: 94-67): After coming oh-so-close to a shot at the World Series last year, Minnesota has high hopes for this season. The Twins bring back tough relief pitching in Johan Santana, Eddie Guardado and JC Romero, and they will have to continue to be strong late in the game. Minnesota’s top prospect this season is first baseman Todd Sears, who holds a career batting average of .298, as well as 100 runs batted in last season’s stint with Triple-A Edmonton. Opposing batters will also need to keep their eyes on recent acquisition Kenny Rogers, whose Gold Glove winning defense is a major addition to the Twins’ pitching staff.

Chicago White Sox — (81-81): The White Sox will be counting on starting pitchers Mark Buehrle and Bartolo Colon to help them get to the postseason in 2003. Over the last two seasons, Chicago was 40-26 when Buerhle started, compared with 124-134 when he didn’t. After coming off a 20-win season in 2002, Colon looks to make his mark with the Sox this year. Right fielder Magglio Ordonez has been a consistent force for Chicago, averaging 33 homeruns and 123 RBI over the past four years. Chicago’s defense is weaker than most, and they will need to come together for the Sox to contend this season.

Cleveland Indians — (74-88): The Indians are working with few familiar faces this season after a winter full of trades and releases. Veteran Indian Omar Vizquel had his best season last year, knocking in 14 homeruns and 72 RBI. Cleveland will need leadership from Vizquel as well as designated hitter Ellis Burks, although he is likely to be a trade prospect by the All-Star Break. On defense, the Indians’ best hope is pitcher Ricardo Rodriguez, who was named Los Angeles’ top prospect by Baseball America last year. However, after hitting eight batters in his seven major league starts, his control leaves something to be desired.

Kansas City Royals — (62-100): The Royals are another one of those teams who just don’t want to repeat last season. Don’t expect any quick solutions. One bright spot is first baseman Mike Sweeney, who made a run for last season’s batting title and has hit above .300 every season since 1999. But unless the Royals can make some changes, Sweeney’s free agency will take him to a team who can use him more effectively. Kansas City will also have to rely on a weak pitching staff, whose only positive note is hard-throwing closer Mike MacDougal. Unfortunately, MacDougal can’t pitch complete games all season.

Detroit Tigers — (55-106): Detroit hasn’t finished over .500 since 1993, but it looks to rebuild over the next few seasons. Detroit brings to the table an inexperienced (although talented) pitching staff, including team ace Mike Maroth, who has started only 21 career Major League games. Rookie pitcher Jeremy Bonderman, 20, secured the second spot in the pitching rotation, but whether such an inexperienced player can dominate in the big leagues is yet to be seen. In October, Detroit signed ex-Tiger Alan Trammell as head coach; Trammell will try to organize the last season’s chaos into a contending squad.

East Division

New York Yankees — (103-58): The owners of last season’s best record (and highest team payroll) look to repeat as division champs. However, they will be without star shortstop Derek Jeter indefinitely, as he suffered a dislocated left shoulder in Monday night’s opener. Key returning sluggers include first baseman Jason Giambi, who hit .314 last season, and Jeter, provided his injury does not end his season. The Yankees also managed to sign rookie Hideki “Godzilla” Matsui, who hit .334 with 50 homeruns last year with the Yomiuri Giants of Japan. New York brings back excellent pitching strength in starters Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Mike Mussina and David Wells.

Boston Red Sox — (93-69): With one of baseball’s longest World Series droughts, the Red Sox needed just five more wins last season to take the wild-card spot away from Anaheim. Look for them to make a strong showing this season with a lineup that is bursting with talent. Leading Boston’s offense is shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, who missed all but a month of the 2001 season but came back to bat .310 and drive in 120 runs. He can only get better. Boston will excel if 2002 AL ERA title winner Pedro Martinez can stay healthy. Knuckleball wizard Tim Wakefield stood out in spring training, and he is expected to rack up the wins this season.

Toronto Blue Jays — (78-84): The powerful team of the early 1990s seems to have found a fairly permanent home in the middle of the East Division over the past few years. Fortunately for their fans, they stand a reasonable chance of moving up this season. Pitcher Roy Halladay, who led the team with 19 wins last season just two years after finishing the 2000 season with a major-league record 10.64 ERA. The Jays are counting on great performances from 2002 AL Rookie of the Year Eric Hinske and second baseman Orlando Hudson, who tends to hit big with runners in scoring position.

Baltimore Orioles — (67-95): As they are in a process of rebuilding, Baltimore’s main goal this season is just to get back to .500. Their offense brings no powerhouses except for second baseman Jery Hairston Jr., who hit extremely well in spring training. The Orioles will mostly need to look to their pitching staff for help. Top starter Rodrigo Lopez finished second in the race for the AL Rookie of the Year, but his numbers dramatically fell off in August and September, posting a 4.99 ERA. He’s going to need to step up his performance if the Orioles are going to have a prayer.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays — (55-106): After last season’s debacle, the Tampa Bay front office recruited Lou Piniella to get the Devil Rays to put some wins on the board. Right fielder Ben Grieve, who was 1998’s AL Rookie of the Year, only hit 30 total homeruns the last two seasons after socking a combined 55 in 1999 and 2000. But he had a good spring, and if he can return to his award-winning playing style, he will be a force to contend with. Tampa Bay’s pitchers need some work, especially last season’s “ace” Joe Kennedy, who went 8-11 with a 4.53 ERA. If this team wins 75 games this season, it will be a miracle.

West Division

Oakland Athletics — (103-59): With such a strong roster, it’s a surprise that this A’s squad has yet to win a World Series. It’s obvious they can get the job done in the regular season, but they will need to make a solid effort in the playoffs. Shortstop Miguel Tejada led the 2002 team in batting averages (.308), RBI (131) and runs (108). He’s leaving after this season because of contract issues, so Oakland will need to use him while they’ve got him. Third baseman Eric Chavez is the AL’s best hitting third baseman and the winner of two straight Gold Gloves. Look for him to share the spotlight with Tejada this season.

Anaheim Angels — (99-63): The Angels gave hope to all small-market teams last year, capturing the World Series title from National League favorites San Francisco Giants. The key to repeating their success this season will simply be sticking to what works best for them. Anaheim is well known for its “small ball” style of play, which relies more on place hitting than power. As a small-market team, Anaheim has got to avoid injuries, which will force them to call up players from the minor leagues instead of signing veterans. However, as we saw in pitcher Francisco Rodriguez in last year’s playoffs, the Angels’ farm program is full of major league strength.

Seattle Mariners — (93-69): Seattle won 116 games in 2001, but their fire was doused last season. If they’re going to get back to their 2001 form, they’re going to have to rely on their bullpen. Arthur Rhodes packs a punch with a fastball in the mid-90s, and Nelson stymies batters with a first-rate slider. Closer Kazuhiro Sasaki had a bone chip in his elbow removed in the off-season, and it is unclear if he will be ready to pitch. Outfielder Ichiro Suzuki boasts a .336 career batting average and will keep AL pitchers on their toes all season.

Texas Rangers — (72-90): Texas has the players to contend but not the record to show for it. Baseball’s 252 Million Dollar Man, Alex Rodriguez, led the AL in homeruns (57) and RBI (142), while adding on his first Gold Glove. Pitcher Chan Ho Park, who was dealt to Texas from the Dodgers last season, disappointed many with his showing, proving that AL baseball is a different game altogether. The Rangers’ relief staff is a standout, featuring Francisco Cordero, who posted a 0.71 ERA in 24 appearances in the second half of the season. Texas’ bullpen also has Jay Powell and Esteban Yan, who will add depth to the Rangers this season.