Badgers have strong showing

The UW men’s track team competed in individual events at the Florida Relays over the weekend.

Redshirt freshman Rick Bellford won the triple jump to lead the Badgers in Friday’s competitions. Bellford recorded a personal best of 49-4 1/4 to win the event. After sitting out last season, Bellford has been able to better his high school personal best by 9 inches in the event.

The Badgers also had three athletes finish in the top 14 in the decathlon. Redshirt junior Ryan Tremelling finished fourth with 6,821 points. He finished third in the decathlon shot put with a toss of 43-8 and also ran a personal best of 51.20 in the 400 meters to finish seventh.

Redshirt freshman Ben Roland was 10th in the decathlon with 6,402 points, while redshirt junior Ashraf Fadel finished 14th with 6,217 points despite not recording a mark in the decathlon shot put. Fadel recorded a personal best of 132-9 in the discus to finish fourth and tied Tremelling for fourth place in the pole vault at 13-9 1/4.

Freshman Zach McCollum finished seventh in the high jump at 6-9 1/2, while senior Steve Jones was eighth at 6-7 1/2. Freshman Wes Ulfig also picked up an eighth-place finish, clearing 15 1/4 in the pole vault for a tie.

In the 110-meter high hurdles, junior Jon Mungen finished 16th at 14.38 and redshirt freshman Paul Check was 30th at 14.92.

Three Badgers ran the 400, with redshirt freshman Scott Hogseth running 48.99 to finish 33rd. Ricardo Rodriguez was 34th in 49.12, and Dustin Rabine was 36th in 49.32. Hogseth, Mungen, Check and Rabine also combined to finish 17th in the 4×200-meter relay in 1:28.93.

Senior Ryan Ridge finished 13th in the 800 meters in 1:52.71, while freshman Joe Detmer finished 30th in the 400-meter hurdles in 54.88.

The Badgers wrapped up the weekend in Florida with two fifth-place finishes Saturday. UW finished fifth in the shuttle hurdle relay with the team of Paul Check, Jon Mungen, Ashraf Fadel and Ryan Tremelling crossing in 1:00.95. The Badgers also picked up a fifth place in the sprint medley relay (200-200-400-800) with the team of Jvontai Hanserd, Ricardo Rodriguez, Ryan Ridge and Dan Murray finishing in 3:24.12.

Senior Steve Jones competed in the invitational high jump, where he tied for eighth at 6-8 3/4. Wisconsin also competed in the 4×800-meter relay, where Joe Detmer, Ridge, Dustin Rabine and Murray finished ninth in 7:42.12.

The Badgers resume action April 4-5 at the Texas Relays in Austin, Texas.

— compiled from staff reports