Spring season begins for football

During the spring, most sports enthusiasts are concentrated on March Madness, the NBA and NHL playoff pictures, or MLB spring training. But there is another item to add to the list of prospects: UW football.

Spring practices kicked off last week, handing head coach Barry Alvarez the reins to patch holes left by graduating seniors. The Badgers’ primary rebuilding this spring may rest on the offense, where a few matters are a little vague.

UW is graduating six starters off last season’s team, with four coming from the offense. The coaching staff must replace quarterback Brooks Bollinger, as well as offensive linemen Al Johnson, Ben Johnson and Jason Jowers.

Alvarez has never had a problem replacing graduating offensive linemen, as UW has become a wholesaler for NFL-bound guards, tackles and centers.

Next fall, Jim Sorgi is anticipated to take over for Bollinger at quarterback, and many Badgers are not too concerned about the change. The past few seasons, Sorgi has had plenty of experience on the turf filling in for Bollinger in a backup role and as the starter.

The strong-armed Sorgi replaced an injured Bollinger in the game against Illinois last season and started three other games in 2001. Wide receiver Darrin Charles said he is not very worried about Sorgi stepping up as the full-time starter for the Badgers, who finished last season 8-6 and just 2-6 in the Big Ten.

“As far as most people are concerned, as far as the wide receivers are concerned, I don’t think it’s really an issue, because they are both able to put the ball in there well,” Charles said. “Whether one does better at one thing than the other, it’s not clear right now. He’s improving, and he does his job well. He’ll just get better.”

Sorgi, who ranks No. 18 in UW career passing yardage, will have plenty of help next season with Charles, Jonathan Orr and Brandon Williams joining Sorgi’s favorite target, Lee Evans, at wide receiver.

Evans missed last season with a knee injury suffered during last year’s spring game and has elected to return to UW for a fifth year. In 2001, Sorgi and Evans hooked up on 10 passes of 30 yards or more, with five ending in touchdowns.

Evans was a first-team All-American and a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s top receiver in 2001. That season he set the Big Ten single-season record with 1,545 receiving yards on 75 catches for nine touchdowns.

While Evans was rehabilitating last season, he provided valuable leadership to the young receiving corps. Charles appreciated all the help from Evans and said he will be pleased to have him back in the lineup next season.

“He’s real cool to have around. He’ll give us some tips and pointers,” Charles said. “He’s got a whole lot more experience than any of us have. He’s a leader on this team. He brings a lot to the table, and the fact that he’s coming back again was sure a big relief to a lot of people.”

Charles said he has been amazed at the progress Evans has made since undergoing a second surgery on his knee late last November.

“He’s hitting weights and running,” Charles said. “As far as a timetable, I’m not too concerned. He looks real healthy, and he’s got his strength.”