Women’s track takes fifth in Big Ten

After the First day of the Big Ten Indoor Track Championships the UW women were sitting in third place as just 4.5 points separated first place from fourth place.

Led by individual champion Bethany Brewster, the Badgers completed a strong first day of competition and were only looking up at host Indiana, and the 2002 Big Ten Champions from Michigan. By the end of the championships however the Badgers found themselves in fifth place.

Brewster, a senior from Freeland, Mich., won her sixth Big Ten title claiming the 3000 meters title on Saturday. She ran by teammate Hilary Edmondson to win her third indoor 3000 title in 9:36.22. Edmondson finished second in 9:28.33. Junior Michelle Lilienthal finished fifth in 9:50.80 and freshman Heidi Lane was eighth in 9:58.87.

Wisconsin also finished third in the distance medley relay in 11:49.69.

Junior Bree Fuqua broke the UW indoor record in the shot put as she finished fifth at 51 feet, two and three quarter inches. Fuqua had tied the record, originally set in 1984 by Karen Nitsch, earlier this season at 50 feet, ten and one quarter inches. Teammate Courtney Bauer finished 13th with a personal best of 47 feet, one inch, which moves her into fifth on the UW all-time list.

Freshman Melissa Talbot just missed scoring in the pentathlon as she finished ninth with 3,342 points. Junior Yael Peled was 14th in the long jump at 17 feet, six inches while freshman Lauren Lasseter finished 15th in the pole vault at 11 feet, five and three quarter inches.

The Badgers sent three qualifiers to Sunday’s finals in the mile and two each to the finals of the 600 and 800 meters.

Edmondson has the third fastest qualifying time in the 800 meters in 2:11.55 while sophomore Katie Kolpin is seventh with a 2:13.38.

Freshman Tara Halls has the second fastest qualifying time in the 600 meters in 1:32.67. Her time ranks ninth on the UW all-time list. Senior Andrea Geurtsen ranks ninth overall with a 1:34.12.

Brewster had the fastest qualifying time in the mile at 4:55.04 while Sarah Kolpin ran 4:59.26. Linsey Blaisdell also qualified for the final in 5:00.81.

Sunday, Brewster earned her second individual title of the championship as she crossed the finish line first with a time of 4:48.63 in the mile. Penn State’s Tracey Brauksieck, yesterday’s Nittany Lion hero in the distance medley relay, trailed Brewster, finishing second with a mark of 4:50.79. Taking third place with a time of 4:52.84 was Lindsey Gallo of Michigan.

Michigan was simply overpowering on day two of the championships pulling away from Indiana as well as the rest of the Big Ten.

The Wolverines won the championship with a total of 129.5 points. Indiana totaled 115 points for a second-place finish. Penn State placed third with 87 points while Ohio State finished positioned in fourth place with 69 points. Wisconsin (68), Illinois (65), Minnesota (61.50), Purdue (50), and Iowa (29.50), and Michigan State (27.50) rounded out the final championship team standings.

-Compiled from staff reports