Michigan stands atop jumble in Big Ten

The swagger appears to have returned to the Michigan basketball program. After another strong week of play, the Wolverines find themselves in control of their own destiny with four games remaining. It is a remarkable story and incredible turnaround for a program that hit rock bottom just a few months ago. Probation stemming from payments to players from the Fab Five and a 0-6 start left the Wolverines reeling.

“We never stopped believing in ourselves,” Michigan head coach Tommy Amaker said. “The will to win and the determination to work hard has fueled this team and we have a nice chemistry working.”

Led by star freshman Daniel Horton, who was named Big Ten player of the week for the third time this season, the Wolverines have found their niche at both ends of the floor.

“Danny is a special player,” Amaker said. “He is improving his game each and every day and making everyone around him better. The entire team is playing well, and our seniors are stepping up and taking a positive leadership role.”

There are questions around the Michigan campus as to whether or not Horton will stay another year or become eligible for the NBA draft in June.

“You worry about next year after the season,” Amaker said. “I am sure at some point me and Daniel will sit down and discuss what is best for him.”

Who’s in and who’s out? March Madness is just around the corner, and the Big Ten is in a familiar position. Six teams are at or over .500 in league play and hope to receive berths to the NCAA tournament. The Big Ten is accustomed to receiving anywhere from 4 to 7 bids and expect similar results this season.

“We have a great conference,” Purdue head coach Gene Keady said. “In the past if you were able to get to .500 in the conference you were pretty much a lock. Last year, though, Minnesota at 9-7 in [the Big Ten] conference were denied a bid. So it looks to me like the committee thinks we are in a down period, but I don’t feel that way. It’s simply a very competitive league with a large amount of teams playing at a high level.”

The league championship will be decided on the court as the top four teams all have games against each other from here on out.

“We don’t need help to win the regular season title,” Illinois head coach Bill Self stated. “We have the opportunity to play the three teams ahead of us in our league. We just need to take it one game at a time.”

A tight race for conference player of the year: It has become a two-player race for the league’s MVP with two weeks remaining. Illinois senior forward Brian Cook and Michigan guard Daniel Horton are the top two candidates, and their contrast in years may certainly play a part.

“Some in the league will have a tough time giving this award to a freshman over a senior, especially if it’s a close race,” Iowa head coach Steve Alford said. “These days you can’t judge a player by how many years he stays. It has to be done on a year-to-year basis because so many players leave early for the NBA.”

If one is simply judging by numbers, then the award most certainly will go to Cook. The 6-foot-10 forward has averaged a strong 20.6 points per game compared to 16.5 for Horton.

“Both players are extremely talented,” Indiana head coach Mike Davis said. “They make everyone on the court better, and that’s the sign of a great player.”