Van Sicklen earns all-region honor

MADISON, Wis. — Wisconsin sophomore Nick Van Sicklen, a midfield/forward with the Badger men’s soccer team, was named a 2002 National Soccer Coaches Association of America/Adidas second-team All-Great Lakes Regional selection Thursday.

A Madison, Wis., native and graduate of Madison West High School, Van Sicklen also earned first-team All-Big Ten honors at the Big Ten Championship banquet last month. Both awards mark first-time honors for the UW sophomore.

Van Sicklen tallied seven goals and five assists to lead the Badgers in scoring with 19 points in 2002. He ranked first in both total goals and points on the team this season, while he tied teammate Erol Goknur for most assists.

In just two years wearing the cardinal and white for Wisconsin, Van Sicklen totaled 10 goals and 10 assists for 30 points.

He played and started 17 of 19 games for UW this year, missing two due to a leg injury, while the Badgers (9-10-0, 3-3-0 Big Ten) finished the Big Ten regular season tied for second place. He was named the Offensive MVP of the Gonzaga Nike Soccer Classic and the 2002 Wisconsin Co-Offensive MVP, with teammate Valentine Anozie, by his coaches and teammates.

compiled from staff reports