Five keys to victory

Camp Randall will say goodbye Saturday to a group of seniors who four years ago delivered Wisconsin a Rose Bowl title. It is senior day and certain to be an emotional setting as bowl implications and the beloved Paul Bunyon Ax are at stake.

Stop Gopher running game

The Gophers have become very one-dimensional as of late due to their inability to throw downfield. Defenses have begun to put eight and nine men in the box, forcing quarterback Asad Abdul-Kaliq to attempt to win games with his arm, which he has failed to do. The Badger defense will need to contain running back Terry Jackson II and keep the Gophers in third-and-long situations if they are to come away with a win Saturday.

Take advantage of opportunities

All season long the Badgers have failed to come up with the big play at the right time. A drop, a fumble, a missed field goal, etc., are mistakes that cannot happen when the margin for error is so slim in Big Ten play. Mistakes could not be afforded against the elites of the conference, and the same holds true of the Gophers. Minnesota is a talented team that comes in at 7-4, currently holding the infamous ax. Wisconsin ranks fourth in the nation in turnover margin at plus 1.5 per game and must take advantage to continue their season and earn an invitation to a much-desired bowl game.

Dominate up front

The offensive line for Wisconsin should be able to overpower an undersized front four of Minnesota and allow running back Anthony Davis to have another big day. Davis comes off one of his best performances of the year with 154 yards on 26 carries in the Badgers 21-14 loss at Michigan. If Davis can keep his yards per play above four, the Badgers will force the Gophers to bring their safeties up, which would leave wide receivers Jonathan Orr and Brandon Williams in one of one situations that they should be able to capitalize on.

Get going early

Last week the Badgers trailed 14-0 in the first five minutes of play and couldn’t catch up to the Wolverines despite an encouraging performance by the defense. Wisconsin has exploded out of the gates in each of their five wins and it will be crucial to get the home crowd into the game early to neutralize the upstart Gophers. Playing for a winning season, the Paul Bunyon Ax and a trip to a bowl game, Wisconsin should have no problems motivating themselves from the get go.

Keep emotions in check

Senior day is always an emotional day for any athlete and expect Saturday to be no different. The most decorated Badger playing his final game in Camp Randall will be quarterback Brooks Bollinger. Bollinger is UW’s all time wins leader compiling a 28-12 record. Four years ago Bollinger replaced Scott Cavanaugh and led Wisconsin to eight straight wins and a second straight Rose Bowl title. This senior class doesn’t want to walk off their home field in front of their fans for the last time with a loss. They must come out and play aggressively to win rather than play not to lose.