Anozie on and off the field

Many people know what Valentine Anozie can do on the soccer field, but their familiarity with him doesn’t go much past that. What they don’t know about Val is that his favorite colors are black and silver, and he’s fairly fluent in three languages and loves to eat rice and chicken.

Anozie didn’t exactly have a typical childhood. That would be hard to do if you grew up in three different countries, like he did. He was born in Romania, but his family moved to Nigeria when he was young. He is an only child, and when he went to Canada for high school, his parents came along. “It was really cold! It was also the first time I’ve ever seen snow.”

Val didn’t grow up playing organized soccer like most players in the United States did. Things are a little different in Nigeria, and Val grew up playing in the streets. The style is also faster paced.

“Quickness and speed are a prerequisite,” Anozie said. “If you’re a slow guy, good luck.”

That style had to be adapted when he began playing organized soccer.

Before Anozie came to play at UW, he was with the Canadian National team. It was a very diverse team and a very good experience for Valentine.

“There were only three true Canadians on the team,” Anozie said. “There is a lot of dual-citizenship in Canada, so we had players from all over the world.”

At UW, Valentine has blossomed into an amazing soccer player and says he will miss playing here when he’s gone.

“I know it’s kind of cliché, but my most memorable moment at UW is probably the first time I stepped on the field,” Anozie said. “I put on that UW jersey and knew that I would be there for the next four to five years.”

Yet, Anozie’s experience at Madison has been enjoyable for reasons other than soccer, as well.

“The thing I will miss the most are the friendships I’ve made at Madison on and off the field during my five years here. I’ve learned a new culture.”

During Anozie’s time at UW, he has faced some tough challenges. The toughest came last season, when blew out his knee and didn’t play at all. He wasn’t sure if he would come back for this season.

“I had already graduated,” Anozie said. “I was seriously considering leaving to play pro.” There was a new coach coming in, but after speaking with him, Anozie felt better about his situation at UW.

“He was really welcoming. He said that if it was my decision to leave, he would help me with contacts [to play professional],” Anozie said. “I hadn’t done anything for him. He didn’t owe me anything, and yet, he was willing to help me if I wanted to leave.”

After meeting Jeff Rohrman, Anozie decided to stay on for his final season at UW, and after working with the coach, Anozie believes he made the right decision and that Wisconsin soccer is in good shape with coach Rohrman leading the way.

“Rohrman is a good coach and a good person. I like his approach to soccer, and I think he will push the program in the right direction,” said Anozie. “Within the next few years, Wisconsin will be up there.”

Anozie was named Big Ten offensive player of the week a couple weeks ago, but he credits the players around him for that accolade.

“It’s always nice [to be recognized],” Anozie said. “But it has to do with the 10 other players on the field and the 25 on the practice field.”

Although Valentine has already graduated from UW with a degree in political science and is currently attending graduate school, he plans to continue chasing his dreams and doing what he loves to do: play soccer. Following the season, Anozie plans to play professionally in MLS or in Europe.