There’s no place like home for UW men’s soccer

The members of the UW men’s soccer team sunk their cleats into the soggy turf of the McClimon Soccer Complex Friday for a long-awaited home game. After away games for the past three weeks, nothing could have felt better. Even the overcast sky did not keep Badger fans from turning out to welcome the team home.

The Badgers (6-2) struggled to capitalize on a multitude of chances Friday night but came out with a well-deserved victory. Sophomore Ryan Nord’s first career goal came in the 22nd minute and was enough to give the Badgers a 1-0 lead over Eastern Illinois.

“It was nice to get my first and probably the only goal of my career,” said Nord “It’s a game-winner, so it’s real nice.”

Senior forward and captain Valentine Anozie and sophomore forward Nick Van Sicklen assisted the goal. Nord was in the right place at the right time to deflect the ball off the crossbar and into the goal.

The Badgers have come out strong from the opening whistle all year and have only been scored on once in the first half. This game was no different, as the Badgers dictated play early and controlled possession in the offensive third. Van Sicklin, Anozie and Phil Doeh applied heavy pressure throughout the game. The 1-0 score didn’t accurately reflect the number of chances that were created by the relentless attack of the UW forwards and midfielders.

The Badgers were coming off a crushing loss to UW-Green Bay and felt they needed to bounce back.

“That’s always the mark of a good team. That’s what a good team does,” Anozie said after the game.

Coach Jeff Rohrman knew his team wanted to make up for the Green Bay loss and get in a win before the start of the Big Ten season.

“This team has great character,” Rohrman said. “I don’t have to tell them that they performed poorly in those games (losses to Valparaiso and UW-GB). They wanted to make amends for the result of the other night.”

Rohrman was happy with the outcome of the game but knows that the Badgers need to finish on the chances they are given.

“We created at least four or five great chances and only got one goal out of it,” Rohrman said.

The Badgers had seemingly endless opportunities in front of the Panthers’ goal but struggled to capitalize.

“We have to make their goalie make saves,” Rohrman said. “We should come away with more shots on goal for all the chances we have.”

Junior goalkeeper Eric Hanson got the shutout for the Badgers.

“I took a break from shutouts for a couple games, so it’s nice to get one again,” said Hanson, who credited the defense for the big part they played in the victory. “The guys did a wonderful job in front of me. Joe Anderson and John McGrady are some of the best defenders I have ever played with. All the guys really pitched in.”

The Badgers have a short break before beginning Big Ten play next week game against Ohio State, and they are going to enjoy it.

“We need a rest,” Rohrman confessed. “This will be much needed, and we’re going to just shift our attention to Ohio State.”

Rohrman knows his team is as ready and excited as he is for the start of the Big Ten season.

“I don’t think it will take much for them to get up for these games,” Rohrman said. “I just think it’s going to come down to finishing the chances we create.”