Badgers look ahead to 2002-03

After unpredicted results this year, Wisconsin’s future is just as uncertain in 2002-03.

The Badger football team headed into the Spring Game looking to be in good position to make an impact on the Big Ten next season. Brooks Bollinger was prepared to lead his team to a bowl game in his senior year, Anthony Davis was ready to build on his freshman year success, and the wideouts were deep with Lee Evans and Darrin Charles ready to pick up where they left off last year to take the attention off the running game and onto the newfound air-attack.

However, all of that changed April 20. With one bad landing off of a reception, Evans tore ligaments in his knee, an injury that could keep him out for a fraction of the season. The flanker was considered one of the best receivers in the country, and his presence was crucial to his team’s success.

But another thing happened in that Spring Game — Darrin Charles emerged as a backfield leader. Charles showed he could pick up the slack in Evans’ absence, giving his Badger teammates hope that if Evans was out for a portion of the season, the offensive production would not suffer.

Bollinger said following the end of the spring football game that he is confident in his team’s ability to be successful next season, with or without Evans. That will have to be determined in August when the team takes the field once again.

The Wisconsin men’s basketball team suffered the loss of two key players in Travon Davis and Charlie Wills, yet their absences shouldn’t leave holes too big to fill. The offense of Kirk Penney will be back for another year as he heads into his senior season. Penney will have the help of Freddie Owens and Devon Harris in the backcourt and Dave Mader and Mike Wilkinson in the frontcourt.

The Badgers made it to the NCAA tournament last season in a rebuilding year after key losses to graduation, so the expectations will be higher coming into next season. With a Big Ten title in their pocket from last season, the Badgers should contend again with their key players returning.

Unlike their male counterparts, the women’s basketball team’s future is not as certain. Badgerball lost three key players to graduation this year in Kyle Black, Tamara Moore and Jessie Stomski, and their positions will be hard to fill. Wisconsin has suffered in postseason play in the last few years, and with the absence of leaders next season, the future could be just as grim.

The men’s hockey team will face the most uncertainty next season as it heads into the post-Jeff Sauer era. With the legendary coach’s retirement last season, Mike Eaves will now take over the reins for the Badgers. Eaves is a product of UW hockey, but he was not a member of one of Sauer’s teams, having played for Bob Johnson. Eaves is a younger coach who brings a lot of enthusiasm to the team, but it is yet to be seen if the players respond to him as a head coach or not.

With the key returning players and the key losses from last season, it looks to be another up-and-down year for the Badgers.