Mayor Paul Soglin: The ‘Brett Favre’ award

[media-credit name=’Megan McCormick / The Badger Herald’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]soglin_MM[/media-credit]

The mustache rides again.

After years of being mayor, not being mayor, being critical of other mayors, not being critical of other mayors, Paul Soglin is, once again, the mayor of Madison.

He beat incumbent Dave Cieslewicz by about 700 votes in an April race that was so nuanced no average Madisonian would be able to discern a difference between the mayor in his 60s and the mayor in his 50s.

Since becoming mayor, Soglin has found ways to be critical of everything. He’s the classic Negative Nancy, poo-pooing Cieslewicz proposals like the Central Library and the Public Market Square. He’s even begun to tear into our beloved Mifflin, acting as if debauchery and public drunkenness were not a part of Madison’s very identity.

“This is unacceptable,” Sogdawg told the Wisconsin State Journal on Sunday. “The city has no business sponsoring an event where the primary activity is drinking.”

Yes, because the title of the event was “Mifflin 2011: Brought To You By the Taxpayers of the City of Madison.”

Anyway, good luck to our oft-mayor, Hizzoner, Sir Paul Soglin.

Although, we have to say, we’re reminded of quarterback and Wisconsin pariah Brett Favre, who twice threw in the towel, only to return again. We’re looking forward to a similar ending to Soglin’s career, involving sexting, extramarital affairs and pictures of his cock on the Internet. It’s what a Bears fan deserves.