The Badger Herald Editorial Board endorses Tony Evers for governor

Evers’ dedication to education, voter accessibility and LGBTQ+ rights makes him the perfect candidate to encourage progress in Wisconsin
Courtesy of Flickr user ony Evers For Wisconsin

It’s time for a change in the governorship of Wisconsin. Someone must bring new ideas and values to the state, and that person is Tony Evers.

President Donald Trump may have visited Wisconsin Wednesday to support Scott Walker, but the blue wave has the potential to elect a new state governor, with recent polls showing Democratic nominee Evers — the state Superintendent of Public Instruction — has a small lead over Walker.

Walker — who has held his position for eight years — has a history of opposing humane, compassionate policies. He enacted Wisconsin Act 23, a voter ID law which led to lower voter turnouts and has an extensive history of anti-LGBTQ+ policies.

Evers’ social media creativity shows commitment to reaching young voters

One of Evers’ goals is to make the voting process accessible to all Wisconsinites, allowing all voices to be heard. According to Evers’ campaign website, this can be done, quite simply, by following in Oregon’s footsteps, where all eligible voters are automatically registered. This would undo the registration process enacted by Walker under Wisconsin Act 23, which confuses many hopeful voters during the registration process.

By automatically registering voters, voter turnout will hopefully increase and allow more voices to be heard in elections — something that did not happen in the 2016 election under Act 23. An estimated 11,700 to 23,000 people did not vote in 2016 because of confusion over voter ID requirements, University of Wisconsin political science professor Kenneth Mayer said.

Evers is also dedicated to listening to and protecting those in the LGBTQ+ community — unlike Walker with his anti-LGBTQ+ past. Even in 2018, Wisconsin still has not passed anti-discrimination laws to protect LGBTQ+ youth, according to the Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest LGBTQ+ rights group.

Tough campaign leads Walker to put out uncomfortably graphic advertisements

Educating young Wisconsinites so they can propel our state and country in a positive direction is important, and Evers’ history in the educational system shows he knows what actions must be taken to make this a reality. Evers’ mission to increase investment in early childhood education will provide students with an appreciation for inclusiveness and diversity — something that’s much needed in our state, especially after Walker shredded education funding at an unprecedented level and cut UW system funding by $250 million over two years with his 2015-17 budget.

It’s time for a change in Wisconsin, and Evers’ substantial policy goals and inclusive ideology is exactly what Wisconsin needs.

The Editorial Board serves to represent the voice of The Badger Herald editorial department, distinct from the newsroom, and does not necessarily reflect the views of each staff member.