Increase in street lights, more accurate Wiscalerts could combat campus safety issues

Influx in security issues requires improvements to current resources
Riley Steinbrenner

It should be the responsibility of the university to alert all students in approximately short distance from a high-risk safety threat immediately, whether or not that specific area is considered to be an “on-campus” location. Students should be provided with proper information immediately. There must be more resources available in order to protect students and ensure a feeling of security.

In light of the assault on a young student leaving College Library near Ingraham Hall in early October, the alleged armed robbery near Union South one week ago, and the incident of a man carrying an assault rifle on State Street on Oct. 9, it more important than ever to make sure students are given proper alerts and information.

Kohl Center will implement metal detectors to increase security

On Monday, Oct.2, I received a Wiscalert via text regarding the incident near Ingraham Hall, where the alleged attempted kidnapping occurred. It stated “An armed robbery occurred by Ingraham Hall. White male, very tall, 175 lbs, black shirt, white mask with a knife.”

It was then clarified via email that the suspect was approximately 5’8, wearing thin black-framed glasses and a beanie.

This description sounds pretty different than a man in a mask. Also, it was not helpful for the UW population to receive information about the suspect’s weight, when weight can be carried differently on different bodies and extremely hard to gauge. Height was far more helpful.

University of Wisconsin System moves toward systemwide security program

In addition to more accurate portrayals of suspects, measures must be taken to deter suspects from future action. This could — and should — be done by installing brighter and more abundant street lights near sidewalks. If, when walking late at night, one sees a shadow behind them, they will be able to easily detect a threat approaching. Additionally, supplying students with free whistles and noisemakers when leaving the library alone at night would be a great precaution.

Of course, Safe Walk is a great program designed to help students walk home to Lakeshore or far away dorms, but realistically, not everyone feels comfortable asking people they don’t know to accompany them on a walk home. Also, many would like to believe that they should not have anything to be afraid of. Sadly, that is not the case.

The only approaches to combat the increasing issue of assaults and dangerous predators on campus is to first inform students as soon as possible about the detected threats and to provide them with even more resources to defend themselves.

Jill Kazlow ([email protected]) is a sophomore intending to major in journalism.