Point Counterpoint: Why you should join College Democrats

The best way for young people to get involved in the political sphere is by joining College Democrats
Greta Zimmermann
Trump’s economic empowerment of women is transformative

Our nation is facing an unprecedented time in history. It is no longer acceptable to stand idle on the sidelines and expect everything to turn out OK. Everyone, especially millennials, must take a stand and get involved in any way they can. The best way for UW students to get involved in the political sphere is to join the College Democrats at the University of Wisconsin.  

When the election results came in, it hit our campus hard. But, the truth is that now isn’t the time to sit and wait around until the next election. Now is a critical time to get involved and show the country that we are stronger together. UW students and the city of Madison are well known for being very liberal, and while the rest of Wisconsin turned red, 71.4 percent of Dane County voted for Democrats in the past presidential election.

Trump, Johnson sweep Wisconsin in historic night for Republicans

Leading up to the election, it was our organization who was registering voters, knocking on doors, making phone calls and organizing events for presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. We take pride in Madison’s liberal community and that Madison had a record voter turnout. Hillary Clinton herself recognized UW for registering the most voters of any campus in America.

Last year, we worked together to re-elect UW alum Zach Wood to the Madison City Council. Wood was a member of UW College Democrats, and we helped him win his first term while he was still in school. We’re proud to say that Wood has fought for student voting rights, fought for more affordable student housing, and also improved campus safety by adding more lights and security cameras to State Street and Langdon Street. We’re proud to stand with great liberal candidates like Zach Wood.

The Badger Herald Editorial Board endorses Zach Wood for City Council

College is all about finding yourself, trying new things, and taking on new challenges. Join College Democrats and surround yourself with like-minded individuals who encourage critical thinking and thought provoking discussions. We embolden each other to ask questions and tackle difficult topics, ranging from national, statewide, and local issues.

As a member of College Democrats, students have exceptional access to politicians like U.S. Rep. Marc Pocan, D- Madison, and U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wisc., as well as other politicians. College Democrats also offers excellent opportunities for political internships, volunteer opportunities and careers in Madison and all over the country.

Besides being a great resume builder and resource for tons of terrific opportunities, College Democrats is always a great way to make friends on campus. When we’re not working to elect progressive leaders or fighting for liberal ideals, we’re just a tight-knit student organization who really cares about the future of our country.

Now is a critical time to get involved in politics, whether it be at the national level or local, and UW College Democrats is an awesome place to start. Now is the time to take a stance and be on the right side of history.

Claudia Koechell ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in history and political science. She is the press secretary for UW College Democrats.