It’s time to do something about Wisconsin’s crumbling roads

Vos, Assembly Republicans should stand their ground, not give into governor’s fiscally irresponsible borrowing
Courtesy of Flickr user Scot

Sometimes reform is a necessity, but when it comes to funding Wisconsin’s crumbling infrastructure, necessity isn’t the right word because it’s more than that.

In Wisconsin’s 2017-19 budget, the state are facing a $1 billion shortfall in transportation budget funding. To put that in perspective, one of the biggest requests for funding comes from the Department of Health Services, but they want less than half of the amount of the shortfall, only asking for $452 million.

But never fear, Speaker of the Assembly Robin Vos, R-Rochester, has got it from here.

With a stunningly optimistic 27 page report sent to Republican Assembly members titled “No Easy Answers,” Vos lays out the possible courses to overcoming this deficit — and none of them are too pretty.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/03/18/nobody-really-knows-how-bad-wisconsins-roads-are/

All proposals are to either increase taxes or increase fees, such as increasing the gas tax by one cent, raising vehicle registration fees by $1 and increasing driver’s license fees by $1.

These ideas have been vehemently opposed by Gov. Scott Walker in the past, vowing not to raise the gas tax and registration fees and ignoring past recommendation to raise the gas tax by five cents.

Even if Walker were to realize that the only way to pay for government projects is to raise taxes, Vos’s proposals do not generate that much revenue, providing the state with $33.4 million, $4.4 million and $1.1 million respectively.

The only proposal Vos advocates for that would seriously cut into this deficit would be instituting toll roads, and honestly, it’s about time.

Since 2013, we’ve known that the quality of Wisconsin’s roads has been going down the drain — with a special commission that included members of Walker’s administration finding “continuing the status quo level of investment will result in serious worsening in the condition and safety of state highways.”

Without at least considering raising taxes, Walker is left with two choices: cut and borrow or implement more serious measures, like toll roads.

Walker seems to be in favor of the former, not worrying about running up the state’s debt, an odd stance for a fiscal conservative to take. But I would bet that this year Vos and the Assembly do not merely rubber stamp Walker’s cut and borrow plan to finance the transportation budget.

https://badgerherald.com/opinion/2016/09/27/vos-assembly-republicans-smartly-advocate-for-sensible-transportation-funding/

Hopefully, we’ll get the reform Wisconsin needs to improve our roads.

Aaron Reilly ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in social work and economics.