Scroll to Dismiss

Ryan should denounce Trump’s contest of election to uphold democratic ideals

Walker, Johnson have already made known outcomes are final

· Oct 20, 2016 Tweet

Amos Mayberry/The Badger Herald

It’s not often we see prominent Wisconsin Republicans breaking with their party’s presidential nominee, but they’ve never had a nominee quite like Donald Trump before.

This time the break is not over Trump’s promotion of unwanted sexual advances, but due to his decision not to accept the election results — only if he loses.

Gov. Scott Walker and Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., have both declared they do not agree with Trump’s nonacceptance of election results. Walker goes so far to say he’s “not surprised” and he also said, “The bottom line is whether he does or doesn’t, there’s going to be a new president.”

Paul Ryan avoids mentioning Trump at UW College Republicans eventJust a few weeks shy of the Nov. 8 presidential election, House Speaker Paul Ryan made a stop in Madison Read…

But these denunciations don’t mean anything until (and if) Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, R-Janesville, breaks with Trump, as he did over Trump’s sexual assault talk.

Really though, the best reason Ryan should break with Trump is so we can all enjoy another episode of Trump’s Twitter tirades. I mean who doesn’t want to see another mess of this:

When Trump’s enormous rage is focused on one person, he transitions from a bigot to the best political side show in America.

Of course, there are more conventional reasons to break from Trump’s unwillingness to trust election results. Trusting the will of the people and the governmental institutions are a good starting point.

Trump’s top supporters and officials, though, have tried to equate his refusal to support election outcomes — if former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton wins — to the challenge former Vice President Al Gore made in 2000.

These two cases, however, are nothing alike.

Gore in no way hinted that his then-upcoming election would be rigged, as Trump has. It was a game time decision based on a razor thin margin in Florida, not a premeditated defense meant to rally one’s base.

While the issue this controversy is creating is nothing like Trump’s sexual assault talk, it might be just as meaningful for Americans’ trust in its government.

Aaron Reilly ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in social work and economics.