Nuclear power is only first step along a process towards complete renewable energy

Lifting moratorium was the right move, but Gov. Scott Walker must be open to all forms of renewable resources
Avda/Wikipedia Commons

Nuclear power brings pictures of mushroom clouds and disaster to many people’s minds. But in reality nuclear power is the gateway to a world of renewable energy.

Recently, Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill that lifted the moratorium on the construction of new nuclear facilities in Wisconsin. On most issues, I disagree with Walker, but I have to give credit where credit is due — this was the right move.

Most fears revolving around nuclear power involve meltdowns, which are events that can cause major environmental and health damage to the surrounding area. But incidents like that have only happened a handful of times. In all, there have only been 33 incidents at nuclear power plants around the world since 1952.

Compared to oil, the United States’ largest fuel for power, nuclear power is actually exponentially safer. In 2013, America alone averaged 20 spills, leaks or blowouts a day. So by no means are current forms of energy production safe either.

Wisconsin is also a prime location for nuclear power. For nuclear power plants to function, they have to be near a large body of cool water. Lucky for Wisconsin, we have a nice thing called Lake Michigan. With endless miles of lakefront property for new nuclear power plants to take up shop, ending the moratorium was the right decision.

One of the biggest knocks against renewable energy taking over for non-renewable energy today, is the argument that the technology is not ready for the transition. The technology for nuclear power, though, is already in place. Renewable nuclear power would provide the perfect substitute for the system currently based on fossil fuels while we wait for green energy like solar and wind, to be ready.

Still, Walker needs to take more steps for what is to come after nuclear power. Nuclear power is just the first step along the process of renewable energy.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/04/11/new-law-cuts-funding-for-energy-efficiency-program/

Walker needs to stop trying to make cuts to programs that promote efficiency and renewable energies. Last month, Walker signed a bill into law that cut $7 million dollars from Focus on Energy, a statewide energy efficiency program that promotes renewable energies along with energy efficiency.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/04/04/despite-national-growth-wind-power-production-stagnant-in-wisconsin/

This is counterintuitive. Nuclear energy is not the long term solution for America’s energy crisis; the long term solution is clean, renewable energy like solar, wind, geothermal and hydro/tidal power. More concerning is the fact that Wisconsin’s solar industry is still in the middle of the pack and that the wind energy industry has gone flat.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/02/26/despite-record-year-for-solar-energy-wisconsin-still-in-middle-of-the-pack/

For Wisconsin to be true innovators and be at the forefront of an emerging economy of renewable energy, Walker and the state Legislature must do more than just promote nuclear power. They must promote the spectrum of renewable energy, not just pick and choose, to ensure Wisconsin has a bright future.

Luke Schaetzel ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in journalism and political science.