Kasich alienating political science majors in Madison not his best move

Making fun of supporters won’t help presidential candidates as he competes for delegates

At his town hall in Madison Monday, Gov. John Kasich, R-Ohio, told a University of Wisconsin sophomore who is majoring in political science and journalism,“There are lots of jobs for a political science major…at Nordstrom.”

Just how a presidential candidate should be courting the youth vote. Regardless of the fact that he’s in third place, I’ll be the first to admit Kasich is by far the best candidate in the Republican field. But that doesn’t mean Kasich isn’t way off.

https://twitter.com/Teymoreorless/status/714599377130622976

According to 2012 data provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for someone who had a degree in political science was $102,000. Unless you own Nordstrom, I don’t believe you’ll be making that kind of money working there.

Kasich brings centrism to Madison town hall event

As a political science major, I’m inherently biased. That said, political science has taught me at least one thing Kasich has yet to understand. He won’t be the nominee for president of the Republican Party. As much as I want him to be, math is math, and he literally can’t win. The delegate count makes it impossible to win the nomination outright. 

I also understand Kasich is banking on a contested convention in July, where he could theoretically take the nomination. But the chances of that are extremely slim, as voters of the Republican party may not react kindly to a nominee they didn’t vote for.

Something else my worthless political science degree has taught me is that someone running for president should not be angering voters. Making fun of political science majors in Madison, home to a large liberal university where it is one of the most popular majors, is not Kasich’s best move.

Kasich’s current strategy is basically to get any delegates he possibly can in hopes of stealing the nomination in a contested convention. As the only moderate left in the race, his best chance to get votes is in liberal areas. Making fun of his supporters won’t cut it.

But what do I know, I’m just another political science major who will be working at Nordstrom in a few years.

Luke Schaetzel ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science and journalism.