Point Counterpoint: Obama policies have failed, it’s time to vote for real change

In watershed election cycle, Republicans are best option
Herald File Photo

In the Iowa caucus, the United States saw two different stories unfolding on the Republican and Democratic sides. 

At voting locations across the state, Republicans were voting for a diverse set of candidates with a diverse set of ideas, while Democrats voted for recycled candidates who run as far left as possible to court voters without presenting Iowans with a plan to get America back on track.

Every four years it is said this presidential election is the most crucial one in our nation’s history and how this election will determine the direction of our country. This year, it really matters. There are threats from ISIS, rising student debt and an economy still stuck in the mud. The problems the U.S. is facing is why Iowan Republicans broke the record for the largest turnout in the caucus’ history by 60,000 votes.

The caucuses and the February 9 New Hampshire primary are important because they set the tone for the rest of the primary season that will last into summer. Iowa and New Hampshire are the states that start off primary season because they are known for their retail politics, meaning they like to meet each candidate a couple of times to determine whether they deserve their vote.

Students should care because this election will determine the future of health care, college affordability, safety and job availability. Republicans have a wide range of ideas to address each of these problems, while Democrats continue to endorse old ideas that did not solve the problems during President Barack Obama’s two terms in office.

The Republican ideas will fix the Obamacare mess with plans that address the needs of those who cannot afford insurance and those with preexisting conditions.

Republicans have ideas to address the root cause of student debt and help students understand how much their education costs before they attend their university. Democrats’ answer is to have the taxpayers pay for education, which sounds great until you graduate and your taxes are so high you cannot afford a home or a car payment.

The Democrats have said they will fight ISIS, but have no plans to do so. Former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has endorsed Obama’s failed foreign policy that has led to increased tension and violence, and Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-VT, is too worried about trying to create a socialist dystopia to notice or address the threat. Republicans know the government’s first responsibility is to protect its citizens. They have laid out plans to achieve this, and will address ISIS on day one in office.

And lastly, everyone wants that dream job upon graduation that will help pursue passions, but also pay the bills. Obama’s economic policies have led to a high number of companies and jobs leaving the U.S. and setting up shop in countries with higher levels of economic freedom. Republicans have plans to reverse the effects of Obama’s failed economic policies and bring back good, high-paying jobs.

It’s important to vote to ensure student voices are heard. It may seem far away, but Wisconsin’s primary is two months away on April 5. Millennial voters will significantly impact this election and Republicans and Democrats alike will want the student vote.

Hear what they are saying. Listen to their ideas and decide whether they offer something that can positively impact your life. Look past all the free stuff the Democrats want to offer you — free stuff you will eventually pay for in higher taxes.

Evaluate which party will empower the individual, address national security threats and encourage companies to create good jobs here in America that millennials will fill in a few short years.

These primaries are incredibly important and, believe it or not, they affect your life in more ways than you can imagine.

Jake Lubenow is a sophomore majoring in political science and finance, investment and banking.