Proposed changes to tenure threaten UW’s function as a university

Academic freedom, being able to partake in ‘risky’ research is important to sustain progress

Recent proposed changes to tenure within the University of Wisconsin System have received considerable criticism — the most notable concerning the protection of academic freedom, which critics claim is lacking.

Some UW faculty members have said the proposed changes would allow layoffs to accommodate program changes short of discontinuation, meaning faculty could be laid off for saying unpopular things or pursuing certain, contentious research projects. 

These tenure changes come amidst several other policies targeting the UW System. While most states are increasing spending towards education, the most recent budget proposal calls for slashes to UW System funding. Critics are concerned the new policies will produce an academic environment that discourages quality faculty members from working in UW schools and encourages current faculty to relocate. 

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/07/09/250-million-cut-to-uw-system-remains-as-assembly-passes-state-budget/

Such consequences would surely reduce both the quality of UW faculty and UW education as a whole.

Sadly, UW officials have already stated more and more faculty are being lured by other universities, who will typically offer higher pay and aren’t struggling to maintain a healthy academic environment.

On top of losing top faculty, there is also a cost to other universities targeting UW faculty. UW has pledged $3 million to help retain faculty, and other UW schools have dedicated additional resources to faculty retention. Though this may help curb counter-offers from other universities, it is an unnecessary cost.

There are other consequences of the tenure changes, besides the obvious. Protecting academic freedom is essential to elite universities because it allows faculty to pursue risky research projects.

Research that does not produce either an immediate or direct benefit to society should not be discouraged. While these projects carry high risk, they can also be the most rewarding. If the UW System does not incorporate the protection of academic freedom into its tenure policy, faculty would be less inclined to pursue risky research out of fear of “discontinuance, curtailment, modification or redirection” of their program.

The threat the tenure changes pose to long-term, risky research raises a significant question regarding public education — what is the role of state universities? Supporters to the tenure changes claim faculty will be more likely to pursue practical projects that benefit the economy and society in general. The Wisconsin Idea, upon which the UW System was founded, echoes this in its emphasis on the “principle that the university should improve people’s lives beyond the classroom.”

While I agree the UW System should improve society, I don’t think it requires sacrificing pursuits that do not have a direct impact on society. To truly be a great, prestigious institution, a university has to have something more than a positive impact on society. A university with only a practical, short-term focus would be no different than a technical school.

The most profound drivers of societal growth came from discoveries of which the pursuit was originally considered pointless. But these discoveries would have never occurred without endorsing the pursuit of potentially ‘worthless’ research projects.

Theoretical understanding of our world, often the reward of risky, long-term research, is the precursor to the practical knowledge that improves the quality of human life.

But changes in the tenure policy could impede discovery and could impede progress at UW.

Without the protection of academic freedom, however, faculty will be hesitant to pursue theoretical knowledge, instead focusing on short-term, pragmatic projects in order to keep their jobs.

When weighed against the argument given in favor of the tenure changes, it is clear the proposed tenure changes have both short-term and long-term consequences. A truly great university has quality faculty members, pursues risky research projects and maintains an emphasis on both practical and theoretical knowledge.

Tenure reforms target these basic qualities found in all outstanding universities, threatening the quality education the UW System provides its students.

William Malina ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in philosophy.