Gov. Walker: Leading Wisconsin into corruption since 2010

Signed bill gives politicians exemption from John Doe investigations; holding them to lesser standards
Joey Reuteman

Wisconsin is really doing a great impression of political theatre from the 1800’s. Too bad Gov. Scott Walker and friends can’t sell tickets to the performance; it might actually spur some economic growth.

Walker signs bill limiting John Doe probes into law

With the substantial changes to campaign finance laws, election accountability and oversight, civil service and the very mechanism to investigate these wrong-doings, Wisconsin has masterfully completed its transformation into Corruption Incorporated. Most recently in this series of unscrupulous events, Walker championed the brave fight against John Doe investigations, which used to allow criminal investigations against politicians for potential wrongdoing.

John Doe investigations are different from normal criminal investigations. Typically, a John Doe investigation would be used when a judge needs to hear testimony under oath to determine if there is enough evidence to proceed with a criminal proceeding.

Walker has previously been the target of two separate John Doe investigations. The first occurred while then-Milwaukee County Executive Walker was running for governor in 2010 and alleged violations of campaign finance laws occured. Eventually, charges were filed against six individuals who donated to Walker, or served under Walker in some capacity, resulting in prison terms, community service and fines.

The second John Doe investigation naturally grew from the first investigation and examined whether or not the Walker campaign illegally coordinated with outside groups during the recall election in 2012.

This second John Doe was eventually terminated by the Wisconsin Supreme Court in 2015 as unfairly restricting the free speech rights of the accused.

While there is legitimate concern with how John Doe investigations have been applied recently, improper technique is not just cause for the outright dismissal of a beneficial policy instrument. In October, Walker signed a revision to the law authorizing John Doe investigations that explicitly exempt politicians.

This is pure and petty retribution from a Walker administration obsessed with squashing opposition instead of addressing problems.

A John Doe investigation does not determine guilt, nor does it unilaterally hijack the legal proceedings from occurring. Simply, John Doe is a tool to determine if there is enough probable cause to start a trial.

Exempting politicians from being investigated is a great way to facilitate corruption regardless of the intent. Even assuming good motivations for Walker — which is a pretty big imaginative stretch — this is short-sighted, misguided and using a sledgehammer when a thumbtack would do.

It has become a wearing refrain that Wisconsin is on the wrong path. Where we once were noted as a beacon of good government and accountability, Walker and friends have consistently eroded these Democratic protections in exchange for increased power and unilateral authority.

Explicitly exempting politicians from a law intended to root out corruption is only the latest in an enthusiastic and exhaustive campaign to insulate Republican officials from public outcry. Want to make a difference? Vote for anyone but Walker in 2018.

I understand being held accountable for your actions can be a headache. If I don’t follow the rules, I wouldn’t want the state to have recourse over me either. We should hold these officials to a higher standard because they have a higher level of responsibility.

By exempting themselves from John Doe investigations, the GOP’s descent into Orwellian over-the-top corruption is near complete. The party of “personal responsibility” consistently proves it is anything but.

Adam Johnson ([email protected]) is a master’s candidate at the La Follette School of Public Affairs.